Sunday, December 04, 2005

Damn You Trident!

This evening as I was making dinner, I started having bad abdominal craps. So bad, I couldn't even stand up straight. Then I started having breathing problems...

"Holy Shit! I must have had something with wheat it in, but what?" I thought to myself. I thought about it over and over, and realized that I had a piece of gum about two hours earlier.

Now, I've read that chewing gum may have a dusting on it to keep it from sticking to the wrapper and that dusting may contain wheat; I've also read that the FDA doesn't require it to be listed on the ingredient list. However, this afternoon, I forgot.

Hello, FDA? DO YOUR FUCKING JOB. I know you're all concerned about passing new and exciting antibiotics to make animals age quickly, approving patents on plants to be better resistant to insects that are part of the cycle of life, and padding your pockets from corporate farms and helping to drone out small family farms; but could you enforce the guidelines you have set out? What if I was so allergic that I immediately passed out dead? It should be mandatory that anything touching the food that we eat should be listed on the wrapper, even if said item was on the food, not in the food. Also? Every food should be required to use the label of "Manufactured in a plant that also produces..."

Now, excuse me while I run upstairs to use the bathroom again...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I would not trust the FDA any farther than I could throw it these days. :( They've become very politicized, and not very vigilant when it comes to public safety. Hope you feel better soon!

Marshamlow said...

Amen! Couldn't have said it better myself.

What's up with the crap like Natural flavors, which is food label for wheat. And then there is stuff I would never think of like toothpaste and medicine.

Do you ever get the urge to start a garden and only eat what you grow or kill?

I hope you feel better soon.

laura capello said...

We would love to have a garden, but some idiot that lived here before us dumped a bunch of cloridane (sp?) all over the property, so we refuse to grow food in the ground (but I have high hopes for some container gardening soon -- just bought a rosemary bush today).

That's why this past summer we bought an organic crop share. It was very interesting, but next year we'll probably just buy from the farmer at the farmers' market up the street. Because I REALLY did not know what to do with three heads of swiss chard and over 250 tomatoes some weeks.

Anonymous said...

I am in love with your paragraph addressing the FDA.