Friday, January 27, 2006

Time Keeps on Slippin' Slippin' Slippin' into the Future

I can't decide which is going to kill me first: Griffin's upcoming birthday, the never-ending redecorating hell that is my entry room or the fact that I'm so far behind in scrapbooking I'm afraid I'll be mentally incapacitated before I can ever get back to it.

Ahem.

So, let's start with the most time-sensitive matter: Griffin's birthday.

Griffin turns four in a little over three weeks. Luckily, we have nearly everything for the party. Unluckily, I have to find a kick-ass recipe for a gluten free cake to feed 20 people. And I have to do the invites today. And I have to work on his blanket.

He's growing out of the last blanket I made him, so I'm making him a bigger one. A much bigger one. It should measure 56" x 68" by the time its done. And that's a big-ass blanket, my friends. He'd better drag that damn thing to college. Or when he bums around Europe. Or when he becomes a roadie.

Anyway, his almost-too-small blanket is a robot print on one side and dark blue bumpy Minky on the other. For his new blanket, Aaron and I though it would be a great idea to let Griff pick our the materials. So, for your viewing pleasure...


He had to have more robot material, and so I ordered some (middle right). But I don't think I'm going to put the upper left material (light background) in the blanket; it just doesn't seem to flow. So maybe I'll make a pillow out of it.

For the sashing, I got a tone-on-town orange star material; for the back, I got two yards of orange bumpy Minky...


So, should I put the star material just around the edges, or should I put strips in between the large panels of the prints? I seriously need to start working on it (I've been ironing all the materials today, which an oddly satisfying chore). And I need some input. Some opinions. Because Aaron's doesn't count.

So, my other catastrophe is the entry room. With the previous people used as a dining room; which the people before them used as a den. It use to be a breeze way between the house and garage, but someone converted it in the 70s (our house was built in the 40s); It has five points of entry -- front yard, back yard, garage, living room and kitchen. Which is why I am considering it the entry room.

Anyway, I've been working on this room since July. JULY. JULY.

I stripped six layers of wallpaper to find horrible walls underneath; half are drywall and the other half is flimsy fake paneling. Eww. So, after staring at it for months thinking "What the fuck am I going to do in here?" I decided to plaster all the walls before priming, painting and (because we've certainly established I'm crazy) glazing. Then, after all that I have to repaint all the wood trim and then I'm ripping up the carpet and putting down new, washable floors. Because I'm tired of scrubbing carpet.

Anyway... my "plastering" on the paneling...

Doesn't look to good, does it? It looks better in person, I swear. And you know I swear a lot.

And Darwin - who thinks the smell of toxic chemicals means its time to p-a-r-t-y.


Don't worry -- I blockade the room when I'm working and while the toxins are drying. Because I'm not totally incompetent.

Not yet, at least.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From a complete stranger who lurks on your blog because you are a mom of similar mind: The dinosaurs would be fine with the rest of the patterns, but I see what you mean. And the stars should go as edging only. Just my humble opinion.

Despite being a non-June-Cleaver, you are a supermom. Keep blogging. I love it.

laura capello said...

You totally rock. I wish you weren't anonymous.

And thanks for the input!

Anonymous said...

When I get my blog half as good as yours, I'll send you a link.

Marshamlow said...

I hope you find a cake or cake recipe and then pass it on to me, for the last two birthdays, Lily didn't have a party or cake. I know I am a terrible mom.

I don't know how to sew, and I have no artistic tendancies at all, that said, I think the blanket would look nice if you used the star pattern inside the blanket between the other patterns. I wish you could come over and teach me how to use my sewing machine. It turns out that sewing is a lot harder than it appears to be.