Sunday, March 26, 2006

What Do You Want? What Do You Want? I Want Rock'n'Roll. You Betcha! Long Live Rock'n'Roll!

Dear Internet,

I do not like you so much right now. No, not you the friends on the other side of the monitor. But the actual internet: you are not so nice.

First of all, I'm gonna do a lot of complaining, so I'm gonna put off thanking my wonderful friends that sent me items this week. Your generosity should not be tarnished by my bitch-fest.

Friday, Aaron took the day off of work. I had to get some blood work drawn (no biggie, a yearly routine) in the morning and I wanted to go to the Creating Keepsakes convention in town. Aaron ended up working a 14-hour shift Thursday, so he decided to stay home all day.

So, after the blood draw I drove up to the convention.

First, I was squeezed into a waiting line like a fucking sardine. People were literally pushing me. And all I could think was, this ain't no goddamn New Kids on the Block concert people, back off!

Then, a fairly well-known scrapbook artist cut through the line in front of me with her friend, and said something along the lines of, "Jesusfuckingchrist, this place is full of smelly, old hags! I do not want to be teaching these kind of people my techniques!"

I really have no witty comment to say to that. I'm too disgusted.

So then, I finally got into the convention (due to never knowing Aaron's traveling schedule, I did not sign-up for classes before time and by then I didn't want to take any classes). I really expected to see some scrapbook products I've never seen before, or at least some products that I've seen in magazines but not at my local scrapbook stores.

Nope. Not really. I've seen it all.

Okay, there were a few exceptions...


I got this mini-album and Sweet Water cardstock at The Scrappin' Place booth (they are located outside Springfield, Missouri). They actually make the albums. I thought this would be really cute to decorate with this paper and make it an album for all my craft projects this year.


I also got this paper at the same booth, made by Crate Paper (a new company - five weeks old).

From other booths, I also got some decorative ribbons, "Creamy Brown" chalk pad, Maya Road ribbon charms and plain cotton twill ribbon (to hopefully make tags for bags with).

But overall, I was really disappointed in the convention. The only things I haven't seen before, I purchased. And that's just plain sad.

When I got home from the convention, Aaron and I spent SIX HOURS researching washers and dryers (and those six hours? Only half of one of those were spent by me).

Anyway, we made our choice and left that evening to make our purchase.


Obviously, this is The Most Exciting Event to Ever Happen to My Children.

Saturday my cousin Sarah told me what grade she got on her paper I edited. A-. Her teacher put commas before the "and"s. I told Sarah I was going to show up at her school and throw it down with her teacher. I have a goddamn Journalism degree!

Then, I had this cockamainey idea to make a bag for my MIL for her birthday. I knew I would need to make two practice bags and use Angela's and Tasha's tutorials.

It took me two hours to get to the "boxing out" part. Three more hours (and lots of seam ripping) to figure it out.

Then another hour to flip it right side out and make it pretty.

Then two more hours (and too much damn seam ripping) to get it right. Then three more hours because I fucked up again. And then 15 minutes of sewing, and what do I have?


Obviously, a few more fucking hours (and seam ripping) to do. I have a college degree, goddamnit. I should be able to figure out how to make a fucking bag.

Now, excuse me while I go eat a pint of ice cream.

7 comments:

diana said...

Hey there ! Congrats on the new
appliances.... sounds like maybe you
needed one of those lemon drinks
while you sewed that bag for the mil.... lol !!

Anonymous said...

Pint? Sounds like it was a half gallon weekend, heh. I got a little confused doing the bag too.

colorfool said...

Oh, my poor baby. 8-( I wish I could skip over and help you out. Take a day off and then try again.? If I can help you via internet please let me know.

Alicia A. said...

Oh, Laura.
It's looks pretty good. I think your straps just got sandwiched in the wrong place.

Hang in there. Hey, at least now you won't have to rinse the clothes 74 times a load! That's a good thing!

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

LOL..
Your hubby and mine were seperated at birth.
Appliance shopping is always "Hun this is what I like..this is the best place to get it.." Then we must go every other store withing driving distance, look at every other machine, rile up every commissioned sals person before we buy what I had originally researched.

umm. duh.

colorfool said...

I didn't finish my comment before...
Sorry about the Scrap convention. That sounds messed up. I do like the stuff you got. That Crate Paper selection is my fav. out of what you showed.

On the bag. I think your straps were together inside the whole bag instead of one on each side (between the lining and outer on each side.) It doesn't look bad though. Your straps look good and the boxing out thing looks right...there is hope! You can do it. 8-) don't tell me to shuddup and roll your eyes. I know you wanted to.

lindiepindie said...

Ugh - bag making can be confusing until you get the hang of it. When I made my first bag, I felt like I was just blindly following directions - doing what they told me to do even though it didn't make any sense at all. I'm happy to help, too, if you'd like!