Friday, March 03, 2006

I'm So Excited, and I Just Can't Hide it, I'm About to Lose Control and I Think I Like it...

Seriously, I think I'm about to pee my pants, I'm so excited.

Why? Why? You ask?

Because, I just ordered some seeds (oh yeah, the budget is so tight, we're doing it old school in our household).

For the garage bed (hey! neighbor! we're doing something this year that will not involve Aaron throwing pumpkins there to "see what happens"!), I ordered some zinnias. The bed is 20 feet by six feet (yes, I'm a nerd, I measured) and I ordered a colorful mix, some beautiful pink ones and some sharp chartreuse to offset the bright colors.

Then, for the island in the backyard where the tulips are (because I sure as hell am not going to plant something back there and disturb those tulips that ate my blood, sweat and tears), I ordered some cottage-y marigolds and some smaller marigolds for the edging. I'm hoping they blend well with the yellow daylillies I already have there (which desperately need to be divided).

Hopefully, both areas receive enough sun for everything to take off and do a good job this year. And the best part is, they are all drought-tolerant. Which is very good for fucking Kansas.

Oh! And Aaron's coming home tonight! Yay!

4 comments:

Marshamlow said...

I am still knee deep in snow! Spring and flowers, nothing in the world is more magical or more effective in shaking off the depression of winter. Yeah!

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling about being knee deep in snow. I wish I was still in Missouri, but noooooo, I am stuck in Wisconsin--all because I love my husband.
I can't wait to see you in May, to see those beautiful flowers. I wish I could even have a hint of flowers here. You know I used to plant my flowers by now, when I lived in Missouri. I guess I should just suck it up and deal with it. I wasn't held at gun point and forced to move here, I agreed to do it.

Your Wisconsin Best Friend!!

Anonymous said...

did you say tulips? i'm jealous of your soon-to-be gorgeous flower garden. i don't think tulips would last here because of the heat and my gardening skills. please post pics of flowers later.

laura capello said...

I will certainly post pictures as the tulips bloom. I've been wanting to write about my tulips for a few weeks now, but because the photos are so important and I can't find any old photos (we went digital in August), I'm anxiously anticipating getting to tell their story!