Thursday, August 07, 2008

I Gave it Everything I Had and Everything I Got Was Bad

It's starting all over again. The pain-in-the-ass bullshit of explaining to the school that we have food allergies and NO, that did not change of the course of the summer.

Dumbasses.

This morning the boys had appointments with our allergist (I find it easiest that we all see the same doctors, it helps a lot) for a bi-annual checkup. But the summer one is always super-fun because it involves refills of medications (yes, "s") and gearing up for back to school, which also includes letters of benedryl dosages and multiple epipens.

And now the school district has decided that they need medical documentation that Griffin has allergies (which is fine, but it's not a new policy, why didn't they need it last year?) and want to know what they can give him instead. Dude, you can't give him ANYTHING. It's called cross-contamination. Don't give my kid food. Period. It's not that damn hard.

So now my doctor had to fill out that form, write a letter about the medication to be emergently-dispensed at school and write another letter to embellish the form because they didn't give enough space for a doctor to properly explain how allergies work despite the fact I talk about it till I'm blue in the face.

And he also wrote a letter for Darwin (who's going to preschool; PRESCHOOL) for medication purposes and LUCKILY they get it. They're all "Don't give him food unless you provide it, easy." And I'm all, "Wanna go make out behind the bushes? Because I love you. Come on, let's go."

So, after spending an hour hashing this fun stuff out with the doctor I got to come home and reorganize it all and realized, fuck, I didn't get all that paperwork back. Fuckity-fuck-fuck-FUCK.

But it will be okay. Really. Truly. Because it can't be worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Oy.


In other, more exciting news, Griffin saw the new TV Guide at the store and had to buy it (with his own damn money, I should point out) because it's all about The Clone Wars and everyday I get asked upteen times how many days till August 15th? Because, Mom, that's when The Clone Wars comes to theaters. Can we go? Let's go now!

And yeah, that TV Guide came with a CD-ROM of previews and behind the scenes and guess who started whining when I said it was my turn to get on the computer?

Go on, guess.

10 comments:

montague said...

the look on his face is priceless!

and - God bless moms. for real.

Anonymous said...

Whoa. I can see from the looks on their faces that that's a really cool DVD. And it's only a matter of time before my kids notice it at the store....

Good luck with the school people. I don't understand why this is so difficult for them. I guess they're used to dealing with kids who have only one or two allergies, not dozens.

Anonymous said...

it is amazing how hard it is for them.


amazing.

i would think it would be a relief that it is so crystal clear.

wow.

Anonymous said...

oh, dude. please don't tell my kids when that movie comes out. because we're not paying top dollar to see it. it looks like crap. but we'll take them to the dollar theater. probably.

LauraJ said...

dumb school! they should start making this stuff mandatory in college when people go to learn how to be teachers!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Tonks is taking JP to see it because...I don't really want to. He can't wait (I'll let you guess who 'he' refers to).

I don't understand why, "YOU AREN'T TO GIVE MY CHILD ANYTHING TO EAT" isn't clear. Seems pretty damn straightforward to me. Morons.

SG's peanut allergy has me so nervous. The preschool gets it but I'm afraid other parents won't and will bring a snack to school that has nuts in it thinking it's no big deal.

Chickenbells said...

Oh my goodness...they are excited about the movie eh? They look so fantastically absorbed...

I am crossing my fingers about the allergy/school/food issues thing. I was looking in our glove compartment on our road trip the other day, and there were boxes of Benadryl, epi pens, and other various allergy things...one can never be too careful, and the reactions are more severe than anyone really wants to believe...

~Kat~ said...

my son might as well be a certified alien as far as his school is concerned with his Celiac Disease... and my daughters preschool practically wants a fingerprint sample from the doctor who said she is sensitive to red dye on top of having a peanut allergy. "stupid-heads" my three year old would call them.... and I would bite my tongue and dare to disagree with her.
I feel your pain sistah....

Liz said...

As a school employee I must say that I agree with YOU. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to not give a child food... I'm sorry that you have to deal with all that crap, you shouldn't have to!

Anonymous said...

Clone Wars is HUGE in my house as well. I also have 2 boys, anxiously awaiting Aug. 15-and a husband too, for that matter. I'm also a teacher. You have to be the squeaky wheel to get anything done-keep at them. I had a student with a life threatening nut allergy a couple years ago. It totally changed my approach to teaching. I do not do food of any sort, period. It simplifies my life so much, and on many levels-no empty calories for the kids, no allergic reactions, no mess. Some parents are unhappy about it, thinking their kids are "missing out," but I don't think it's my job to feed these kids. They can have their sweet treats at home. I have to teach. Hang in there! I know it must be so frustrating.