Thursday, October 30, 2008

This Age of Industry, for Today I'll Let it Go

Yesterday was one hell of a day, beginning with a visit to the boys' dentist.

Now, I will say the boys have finally gotten to the point where they have their shit together while we're there, no more screaming and thrashing around. No more needing four techs to each hold down an appendage to get flossed. We're doing good.

Then (then! OH MY HELL, THEN!) the lady goes and effects Darwin's gag reflex and guess what happens...

Yep.

Vomit.

Everywhere.

In between his jacket and shirt, in between his shirt and body. Down his back. In his pants. Oh my hell.

Then, I find out that Griffin has nine cavities. For those of you in the back: NINE CAVITIES. Oh my fucking God, does he even have nine teeth to have cavities in?!

Apparently so.

His adult molars coming in over his baby molars are already cavities. The dentist said this is due to bad genetics. VERY BAD GENETICS.

Given I didn't have my first cavity way into my 20s, guess who I'm blaming this one on.

I'm a city girl, but I've heard there's a saying - something about always look at it's teeth before you buy a horse. Apparently, YOU NEED TO THAT FOR HUSBANDS TOO.

16 comments:

Andrea said...

That does not sound fun at all. I personally am terrified of the dentist, because I did not get my first cavity until I was 22 and the whole filling experience went horribly bad. So, when I went to take my 3 year old son for his first visit I was SCARED! I thought he would be too, but the hygienist was great and he warmed right up and let her in and all was well. Now I just have to get my butt back in that chair cause I hate hate hate going.

Anonymous said...

the dental tech hit my son's gag reflex once also. He was 8, she was in her early 20's & 8 wks preggers. When he hurled, SHE HURLED! What a mess - she still tells the story (15 yrs later). He was such a mess they tech dressed him a the paper scrubs they wear so he could go home dry!

Stacy said...

oh my hell. go buy some lottery tickets. I believe you might be due some good luck?

Anonymous said...

Yuck! There are just too many bad genes out there to screen for. And somehow our spouses manage to hide them from us until it's too late. But I can't talk, because some of my bad genes are making their effects known now.

LauraJ said...

that sounds awful!
happy halloween?

Kim -today's creative blog said...

I'm sorry.......I giggled out loud over your post. I took Lucas to the dentist yesterday too. 3 Cavities. And our insurance only pays 60%......that means those 3 little cavities will cost almost $700! What the heck?! I'm in the wrong biz.

kristin said...

i'm sorry to say i am laughing at you.

Liz said...

Poor kids...

Anonymous said...

Blah, that sucks. And that is a lot o' cavities.

beki said...

Oh no! I am the one who has passed down the bad teeth gene - Lily has already had numerous ones filled (I think 6 last time), and I'm working on getting my 14 filled. $$$

Chickenbells said...

Oh good heavens...poor boys!

sltbee69 said...

Oh my hell! If Griffin doesn't end up with a dentist complex by the time all those cavities are filled ... Yeah, when something bad goes wrong with my kids- the hubster always gets the blame.

Anonymous said...

My hubby only brushes once a day. Never has bad breath and never has cavities. I brush and do all the proper things and I get cavities too.

Ugh. My dentist said the same thing. Stupid luck of the draw. Poor guy....

Kerrie McLoughlin said...

i. hate. cavities. and i no longer judge those whose kids get them. i've had tons. the universe put me in my place by giving my children cavities. we go to the dentist on tuesday ... all 3 older kids .... this oughta be good. how many will they fill at once? will they knock him out? dang.

LA said...

I thought Philly was bad with six. Two teeth are so bad that they have capped them. Baby teeth. Capped! Luckily, he thinks the dentist is fun because they give him toys and ice cream when he leaves.

Sarah and Jack said...

I've read somewhere that cavities are caused by bacteria and that you get that bacteria from your parents. HOWEVER, (And they should have printed this in big letters and told me this in loud words when they sent me home with Jack), you can apparently prevent your kids from getting your bacteria by doing things like never, ever sharing spit. No spoons, no pacis in your mouth to "clean" then, no drink of my drink, etc.

I mean, if that's true, why isn't that important info for mothers???