Monday, October 08, 2007

Oh My Darling, Will You be Here Before I Sputter Out?

Despite my absolute acceptance that I've been on death's door ("Aaron, I love you, I'll see you in our next life, kay?" "Woman, you are fucking crazy"), I am not dead. And apparently, I will not be dying either.

Or, at least, hopefully not.

The doctor says I have the flu. Surprise, surprise.

He claims it will be another two weeks or so until I have my "energy" back.

You mean, the "energy" I had before kids? Or now? Because dude? THERE'S A DIFFERENCE.

And then he said it would be back to "normal." Dude, again, THERE'S A DIFFERENCE.

In any case -- THIS IS THE REASON WHY THE FLU SHOT WAS INVENTED. So you wouldn't teeter on death's door for two weeks with another two weeks of "recovery."

Which, "recovery" consists of doing something for 20 minutes and laying down for an hour because the Earth? Is spinning. Spinning-spinning-whee.

In other words? YOU ALL NEED TO GET A FLU SHOT. Seriously. FLU SHOT. Get it.

And I? Need to lay off the fucking cap locks. Damn.

Despite the lying-down-ness I've been doing, I have been doing a few other things this past week, like taking Griffin to the Occupational Therapist for a re-evaluation of his Sensory Integration Disorder (verdict: he is good, does not need therapy nor and IEP; school needs to LAY THE FUCK OFF MY CHILD, he's developing normally) (suck on that, school). We have a few hand outs of things to continue to help his fine motor skills but otherwise? MY KID ROCKS.

(Laura: the cap locks should be used sparingly. Not every other sentence.)

Additionally, I bought some Goo Gone to work it's magic on my eating table (yeah, I need to write a whole damn post about the table) (it goes something like this: bought a white table, it's stained, can't get stains off, woe is me) (there's more to it, would you like to hear about it? like, tomorrow perhaps?) and it works of the adhesive on the floor as well, so I don't have to use the toxic stuff.

Yesterday, I also managed to plant a butt load (thanks Diane!) of irises in the front yard. I made Aaron tear up the ground for me. Because? I'm weak. And sick.

And now I need to go lie down. Because all this sitting up and typing words? Is exhausting.

(GET A FLU SHOT, PEOPLE. GET A FLU SHOT!)

19 comments:

nuttnbunny said...

Seriously SUCK ON THAT! Oh and get a flu shot...

:-)

I know I may be late to the party here but... wtf is up with that school btw.

Oil Cloth Junkie said...

Dude, I'm so making you a shirt that says Suck on It for your parent/ teacher conferences. :P

Oil Cloth Junkie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The school is still pissing you off? They seriously need to stop that. And I'll seriously get a flu shot.

Anonymous said...

Oh Honey. I missed you so much.

Like crack.

Yes, Laura. You are just like crack. Except maybe you vomit more.

And we all know Griffin totally rocks. Duh.

And? No flu here. Ha ha ha! Only malaria. Damn.

Kim -today's creative blog said...

you know, I have never had a flu shot......never had the flu.....but this year, I was actually thinking that I may get one and you just confirmed it.

Meegan Blue said...

I just got my flu shot. Last year it didn't seem to help much, I got pretty damn sick anyway. But who knows, maybe I'd have been even sicker without it?

I hope you feel better soon...

Chickenbells said...

Ohhh...everyone in my family that gets a flu shot immediately gets deathly ill...which could come in handy for some of those lesser liked relatives...TAKE THAT GRANDMA!

(cap locks fun)

Anonymous said...

thank you for that strongly worded reminder!

PamKittyMorning said...

Ohh chickenbells comment cracked me up. I almost always get a flu shot. You can get a flu shot? I was afraid it would be chock full of stuff you were allergic to. In fact while I was looking for the flu shot clinics around I actually thought gee, wonder if Laura could get one of these. Weird huh?

Rachel said...

Suck-o on the whole flu business. I never get the shot either, tends to make me sick. And um, you will have to excuse me if I say lets plan a playdate AFTER all traces of illness are gone.

And man, that school blows.

lera said...

Oh my. I was going say "isn't it too early for the flu?" but apparently it is not.

Get better, friend. Rest. Relax. Get back to "normal." lol

Lala said...

Hi Laura... Hope you are feeling better soon!!! I'm a nurse and have NEVER gotten a flu shot... flu shots only cover the THREE most virulant strains anticipated... kinda like a cold... you never catch the "same" (strain)flu twice... But feel better REAL SOON!!! :o)

It amazes me how "insistant" schools are these days to "label" kids... here would be my question to "your" school... what kind of additional funding do they receive if you son is truly found to need "labeling"??? (Cause I'm bettin' they would get $omething) Glad everything worked out!!!

Lala :o)

Stitchy said...

I'm with Lala, I've never gotten the flu shot... but man, after reading what you've been through the past month, I don't know.
I really hope you get better AND SOON. See, caps are needed!

Hyena In Petticoats said...

So I see the crazy Flu Epideic is moving across the globe - We've had it really bad in Australia this winter......

I don't get the shot. Like Chickenbells, everyone I know who gets the shot practically dies within the next two weeks.

Just take some paracetamol ( the ONLY thing that helps with the aches and pains) and tell the world to fuck off and leave you alone for a while.

And we all know your sons are geniuses. So if worst comes to worst, bring 'em home and we'll all home school them over the internet - hoot!

feel better soon, lovely. xxx

LJ said...

Two years ago I had strep, it was awful and affected the lining of my stomach..I thought my stomach wwas trying to digest itself. Sorry for the visutal. I was hospitalized for 12 hours for dehydration and pain meds. Anyway...I feel your pain!

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

JAB!!!Booked for next week, thanks for the advise, I had flu twice in one year having never had it before, its a killer..but I don't need to tell you that do I!!!

Chara Michele said...

I am terrified to get the flu shot... The last shot I had to have I got incredibly sick and don't really feel like repeating that experience. (It was actually a rabies vaccine for working with animals - did you know there is such a thing as a preexposure rabies vaccine for humans - like how we vaccinate animals. Um, well it sucks and is painful and I would almost rather wait until I got bit and then get the shots for it then!) So um yeah, probably no flu shot for me... Although I have already been sick just last week, so crossing my fingers that I won't be getting sick again this fall/winter...

Angelina said...

That's great news about Griffin.

I'm impressed about the irises. I've got a ton of chard I should get planted because come mid winter that may be my only source of fresh food. You'd think that would motivate me, but it hasn't so far.

I hope you kick this thing soon. If I douse my whole interior with vodka that will have the same effect as the flu shot, right? Won't it kill off all those little viruses? While also being more fun than getting a needle in the arm?