Monday, June 15, 2009

When the Wind Picked Up, the Fire Spread

We're having a rough time, or at least - I am.

Griffin's having some... oh, how should I phrase this... I guess a nicer person would call them "growing pains."

I'm more likely to call it SHITHEAD BEHAVIOR, so yeah! Let's be the bestest parent ever and call it that!

I've made no apologies about talking about his Sensory Integration Disorder and how this has totally wrecked havoc in our family. Two years ago he was "released" - not that he no longer has it, just that he no longer qualifies for medical intervention for it. Which is a fantastical way to say haha, sucker!

And in summer, it always seems to get worse.

I don't know if it's the heat, the humidity or a combination teamed with a less-than-militant schedule but holyfuckingshit, someone's acting out around here and it's not me.

The vast majority of this shithead behavior is directed at people. Last week he was telling me his friend was beating him up, but neglected to say he was hitting his friend with a toy repeatedly first. On another day, he kept Getting In My Face, which I like a good four inches between my face and everything else, and he kept Getting In My Face because he thought it was "funny" to piss me off.

Last night, he shoved his brother down while running home from a walk.

"Why'd you push your brother down?"
::shrug::
"Why'd you push your brother down? You have to have a reason."
"He was there."
"Was he in your way?"
"No."
"Then why'd you push him down?"
"He was there."

Argh.

So after some art therapy (he can put most situations into pictures way better than words) I asked Griffin to write Darwin an apology.


Do you see that ending there? Oh my fuck, is that normal? "I will not do it again, if I do I will punch myself in the face."

Fu-uck.

This is normal, right? Like, it actually is a stage most kids go through?

And goddamn, this parenting shit is rough.

11 comments:

Keyona said...

Don't freak out. I'm sure it's just a phase. But....I don't have boys so I don't know. Ok, shit. I don't think I was any help at all!

amy h said...

It sounds like Griffin is turning into Dobby there in that note. :)

I remember testing limits with my sister, too. Chris remembers pushing his cousin down the stairs for no apparent reason other than he was just there and it might be interesting.

Anonymous said...

Gah!

So, when will the dumbasses in medicine and government come together and classify SPD as a qualifying disability?? For freak's sake, our kids need support all the way through their school years. It's ridiculous.

FTR, I'd say it's probably mostly the lack of the militant schedule. It sends mine bonkers, too. Does it help to know you're not alone? Probably not, and it's trite, but there, I said it anyway.

Ali said...

I remeber a phase where all apologies were accompanied by an offer of bodily harm to himself when Mark was Griffin's age.

So, I don't know if it's normal, but it's not just him!

Oddly enough, giving him more responsibility is always what seems to turn him round in one of those phases. He used to be really nasty to the kid next door. Just mean. So I invited their family to lunch and told Mark he was the host and the eldest and it was his responsibility to make sure everyone had a really great time. And he was nice as pie to the child perviously referred to as 'my arch-enemy'.

Odd creatures these boys.

Pat said...

that is not the first time I have heard that. I think that is totally normal behavior and he is fine. Boys are way different that girls and they act out differently.

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

The apology note is not way out there for a boy all hopped up on summer.
( They all get weird with a little free time on their hands.) It was all about getting a reaction from you.

Or he has been staying up late watching Fight Club and it seemed like a good idea to him.

You'll both be fine... by September anyway.

Robin said...

My husband is a bad-ass and apparently he used to try to drown himself in the lake when he was a kid, just to get attention. I also have a friend who called me FLIPPING out when her 3 year old began banging her head because she couldn't get a popsicle. All in all I think it's an attention thing. He sounds like he is giving you a run for your money though. Cute blog.

mommymae said...

one of my girls is constantly hitting her head (either with her hands or on the table, wall, etc.) when she does something wrong. it's normal.

aussiechic said...

Wow - I have a little boy and my sister has 2 little boys and I can't say I have seen that with her boys.....my sister takes no shit from her boys tho.....she lives on a sheep & cattle farm that is 2000 acres out in NSW, Australia. She is as tough as nails...but a great mummy. Shoving his brother pretty normal..boys fight and carry on.....the attitude tho??? She would kick his butt.

monica said...

yes, it's normal for a child not to be normal. That's my theory and I stick with it.

I get it from No 2 all the time. He drives me nuts. Yesterday he was really pushing it and I kind of snapped and told him to stop being so annoying (well, I was a bit more forceful than that...) and do you know what he replied?... walking away (wisely) from me he mumbled "I could be so much more annoying than that"...

Great. Can't wait.

Lisa said...

My son has Asperger's with SID- summer (without a structured schedule) is always hell! I believe in camp, summer school, anything that provides him with constant activity schedules. Otherwise, he relieves his anxieties on his sisters.