Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Wouldn't it be Good if We Could Live Without a Care

My in-laws are crazy. Particularly, my father-in-law. (Hi Ray!)

Whenever they come into town, he wants projects. Every time he visits, he insists the project list increases.

He met his match with me this weekend.

Aaron and Ray (and the boys "helped" and much a leaf jumpers can) raked the whole yard and trimmed a bunch of bushes on Friday. Then, Friday night they installed the new range hood (so... we only went without ventilation for less than two months -- that's damn impressive for us). Aaron's mom (Hi Bev!) (yes, my in-laws found mah blahg) and I shopped.

Saturday Aaron and Ray ripped the carpet out of the entry room. Given that I've been wanting to do this for over two year (since I painted the damn room), you can now understand why I'm so impressed it "only" took us two months to install a range hood.


If they weren't made of asbestos, covered in old glue and splattered with paint I might have left what we found.

But, you know, it was made of asbestos, covered in old glue and splattered with paint.

And so after patching and super-cold temperatures (because the room use to be a breeze-way) (and because I try to fancy it up a bit by calling it the "entry room" even though what I should call it is "that piece of shit room that's not insulated properly"), Ray and I layed (lied? stupid English language) the new floor on Sunday.


Who's a pretty floor? Who's a pretty floor? You are! You are!

And I have to say, two days later and I'm still hella sore. I can barely lift my hands over my head and if I had a cane I'd be using it to walk around. And if I had access to one of those chair thingamaboppers that lifted your ass up for you I'd totally be living in that right now too.

Yeouch.

And Ray was really nice about indulging me in setting the floor on the diagonal. Everyone thought I was crazy.

Which, really, I don't know why they're just coming to that conclusion now.

Speaking of me and my crazy... we started the Advent Calendar last night!


What's a good name for a knight?

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

gunther.

nice floor!

montague said...

aaaw. thank god for crazy family members!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that your family can do projects together without killing each other. The floor looks great!

Oil Cloth Junkie said...

that's a darn purty floor. :)

Anonymous said...

Sir Pokes-a-Lot?

Nice floor!

Leah said...

Sir Legolot :) I think your new floor has been laid - and well done on the rangehood (says she whose oven hasn't worked since APRIL!)

Me and Him said...

I like the old floor, without the paint, glue and the asbestos. I also like your new floor. It's very clean and shiny!

Kristin L said...

Norbert.

Angelina said...

I think his name is Bryce.

The floor looks great! I love the old one though and wish that it hadn't been so mucked up.

Good work!

Chickenbells said...

Wow! Congrats on the new floor and range hood...and that knight?

Life is indeed good...

Kim -today's creative blog said...

How exciting! I say his parents mee to come more often!

Anonymous said...

How about "Ray". Seems to be a rescue knight to me, even if he is clad in "father-in-law" garb. I enjoy your blog, even if I just lurk. Thanks.

Andrea said...

Ooooh! Great floor redo! Love it!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Nice floor. It's always good to get those projects done that were waiting for years and years but only took a few hours...

Anonymous said...

Arthur. but that's a bit obvious, I guess.

Don't you EVER tell my children that Lego has an advent calendar.

Pretty please.

Mizfixit said...

Sir Loin?

Great floor too! And I'm sure it's fabulous all set on an angle and such...

Unknown said...

Laid. I think.

And that is a seriously pretty floor.

Thought of you when I started my advent calendar and hoped you had gotten a lego one again. Happy legoing!!

Liz said...

Love the floor and I think Sir Ethan of Glouster...

Anonymous said...

uther.
or gwain.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad someone else has a crazy-fix-it father in law. Aren't they dear.