Wednesday, September 03, 2008

You're Taking Your Sweet Time

Tuckie's going through his autumnal shedding-of-his-skin, which is completely disgusting.


This is directly correlating to the beginning of my autumnal shedding-of-my-mouth. Now, normally when I share that with people they're all ewwwww but you know what? Be happy I'm not posting a picture of that disgustingness. And seriously, I cannot be the only person on this damn planet who sheds their mouth-skin twice a year. Impossible.

Tuckie's shedding is slow-going, but I guess it always is. His appetite decreases, his skin starts looking gray, his shell looks muddy brown. He'll be a "new" turtle in no time, but I really dislike all this shedding business, it makes me concerned about his health. Well, that and the fact that he's got bloodshot eyes, like he's sneaking back from the bar at 2 a.m. and I've got half a mind to ask him how many lap dances he paid for.

So we're back to the Vitamin A eye drops. And I yelled at Aaron to Get That Damn Fish Out Of Tuckie's Habitat. I fucking hate that fish (it makes cleaning the tank nearly impossible) and it doesn't even have a name. So I call it the Pregnant Shit in my head, but not out loud. Because I'm a good mother, goddamnit.

And really, this whole Fish thing is really just another one of Aaron's Experiments. Like that damn betta fish he has living on the back patio. Which lives in one of Tuckie's old habitats that has a full inch of green sludge all over the surface. Do you know why we have a betta living on the back patio? "To eat the mosquito larvae." Guess who has to have a lid on their habitat to keep a bird from eating the fish? Right! The betta! Guess what can't lay mosquito larvae with a lid on a habitat? Right! Mosquitoes! Quess who has three buckets of water surrounding the habitat so he can grow mosquito larvae to feed to the fish? That's right! My husband! It's a mind-numbing never-ending series of "experiments" over here.

And yes, this is a longish post to distract you from the fact that I haven't worked on the quilt. It totally worked, didn't it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three buckets of mosquito larvae? Bettas do like those, but can one betta eat that many?

Andrea said...

Mouth shedding? Huh? What am I missing here?

Cute turtle!

~Molly~ said...

Sounds like our house! We have a bucket of tadpoles on the porch but either something got them or they frogged and hopped away. However, there is a mysterious larvae still living in the bucket so we can't dump it out yet. It might be a dragonfly larvae(which would explain the missing tadpoles). Sigh.

Molly

come see my blog and scroll down a post or two to see what my son collects(lets just say that my turtle can eat your turtle).

montague said...

mouth shedding? really? i'm amused ;)

sltbee69 said...

So, since Aaron is growing mosquito larvae, how are the mosquitoes at your house? They've been absolutely awful around my parts this summer.

My Beardie isn't shedding but she is going through her brumation(sp?) period and every single time, I worry about her.