Friday, September 10, 2010

So Come Dance This Silence Down Through the Morning

I knew having a newborn would be tough, I remember the days of bringing Griffin home and having him scream around the clock. No feel-good memory loss for me, I remember clearly.

And I knew what to expect, breastfeeding exclusively with boobs that just don't like to produce milk. And I had resigned to the fact that the next year of my life was going to be spent nursing, nursing, nursing, not sleeping and (hopefully) working. You know that working part, so important because you need to buy food so you can make milk and nurse.

But the preparing myself and actual realization are two different things, of course, and last Thursday I really thought the lack of sleep was going to kill me. Not so much the nursing, even though, damn kid could you stay off for a full hour? Please? But the lack of sleep.

I like my sleep.

As I was breastfeeding Emery I was thinking of ways I could kill Aaron, that bastard. That bastard who did this to me and doesn't have to breastfeed. What kind of biological bullshit is that? And what's the best way to revenge those who Sleep Peacefully for More than an Hour at a Time? Because this was heavy on my mind.

But The Gods have a way of putting you in your place. As for my place, that is called Mastitis.

Last Friday I felt weird, but blamed it on lack of sleep. Saturday, though, the shooting pain in my breast began along with a fever of 103 that brought with it chills (complete with unintentional moaning) and sweats. A midwife was nice enough to call me in a prescription over the holiday weekend (after I cried and begged to not send me and a newborn babe to the ER).

And one would tend to think that would help, but no. Four days later and everything was the same, except I had wised-up enough to keep myself filled of Tylenol and Advil to try to keep my fever (and chills and sweats) under control.

Tuesday morning I dragged my ass (and the baby in tow) (Aaron went to work) (that bastard) (while I was still sick!) to the doctor's office and got a new prescription. So we stopped at the pharmacy to pick it up and...

Yeah. No.

The new prescription wasn't gluten-free.

I had to fight with the pharmacy for a few hours to Figure Shit Out and it turned out oh hey, THEY CAN ORDER MEDICATION. Which meant that by the time everything was said and done I started the proper prescription Wednesday night.

Which means, of course, that the story isn't over yet.

Because The Gods? They have a sense of humor. And decided it would SUPER FUNNY if Darwin woke up with the croup Thursday morning.

And seriously, we contemplated if he needed to go to the ER or was his oxygen high enough to make it to the doctor in a few hours. No blue lips, thankfully. So we waited. And Aaron took Dar to the doctor, while I stayed home with Emerson in hopes of me and Emery not catching the croup because THAT'S JUST WHAT WE NEED RIGHT NOW, for a three-week old baby to have breathing problems.

So Darwin's been home for two days, but is suppose to be avoiding me and the baby so we don't get the croup. But Aaron's at work and guess who has to care for the poor sick boy? And I mean besides his DSi.

And then, just for shits and giggles, between the time I sat down and started this post and now, a water main broke right in front of my house, flooding the driveway and garage with muddy water and now there's a nice big hole in my driveway that could easily dispose of a dead body.

Any body have a dead body to dispose of?

If this week had a body I would have already called dibs.

[gratuitous photo of three-week old Emerson, because I know why you all are really visiting]

9 comments:

Vicki said...

Laura, can I come hold the baby while you rest/sleep? Or bring you a dinner? I could make something to fit in with all your food allergy requirements if you give me a recipe.... I'm so sorry you're going through all this!

Sarah Jackson said...

oh man. I wish I could help. But that sweet little face....

I'm still rarely getting more than 2 consecutive hours of sleep and it's getting old fast.

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart, what a week! As a mother of three who just went through all that last year, my only advice is a nice glass of wine before the next feeding! I've done the fenugreek, pumping after nursing, you name it. It's not fair that some women can make enough milk for a dozen kids and some of us have to wring ours like a empty tube of toothpaste to get a shot glass full. Good luck, I hope you all get to feeling better!

Kristi said...

I've said it a million times- The gods of pregnancy, labor and child rearing are very fair. For every stretch mark, your kid doesn't puke on the school principal or have an explosive diaper blow out on the plane (which is why I always, always, always wear black on the plane now). For mastitis, I think the trade off is equivalent to your kid not getting caught doing doughnuts on the church lawn or something... At least it should be. I'm in Virginia- can I drop off a pan of enchiladas?

Unknown said...

oh pants. that really really sucks. I had mastitis... it's totally the worse thing of all the worse things. This is an old remedy that was suggested to me by the midwife and it's totally common knowledge in England... I know it'll sound like hocus-pocus but it works... and it'll make you and your 'lactating glands' feel much better: Take a big cabbage. peel off a few of the big outer leaves and put them in the freezer. When they're cold put them 'on'... like a bra, inside your bra... if you catch my drift.

It's heaven. It's natural (unless you're allergic to cabbage... in which case don't do it!)and it works. The cold is soothing and they release some sort of soothing thang... but ... remember to change them when you start smelling of cooked cabbage (it will help, and it ain't nice)...

Seriously. It does work.

Janet said...

That cabbage cure is an absolute godsend, which I swear saved my life. One small adjustment I would recommend however, would be to cut a hole in the middle of the cabbage leaf for your nipple to go through, and then a nursing pad over the cabbage leaf. Even worse than the smell of cooked cabbage eminating from your bra, is the smell of cooked cabbage along with the sour milk that has collected behind the cabbage leaf!
Send DH to the grocery store right now for cabbages!

Jersey Knitting Mama said...

Oh my goodness. He is so super duper cute! Oh I love newborns but I don't think I can do it again. My second son is almost 2 and he still doens't That sleep!

Elizabeth said...

Not to sound stalkerish, but you must be my neighbor?? Either that or it is a huge conicidence that a house down the hill from us in Oak Park had a pipe burst in their driveway that same day.

Having a new baby is rough, can not imagine with three. Hope to see you at the KCMQG again soon and if you ARE my neighbor I will have to walk down and say hi.

Rebecca F. said...

I hope you are doing okay Laura!