Thursday, August 03, 2006

There's No Place That I'd Rather be than Nowhere, Quiet Storm King You Will Soon Be on Your Own

Yesterday morning I got up and did the full routine -- fed the boys breakfast, ate breakfast, loaded and ran the dishwasher, opened up the computer, logged on to my personal email account, responded to an email and then **poof** my internet connection was gone.

Gone.

So I rebooted the computer... and it couldn't find my modem. So I booted the computer again. And then it said my modem was deleted. Shit. So I rebooted again and it said someone else was logged onto my computer.

Holy hell.

Once I realized that, because I'm crippled and can't got to the basement to jack with the wireless network, I wouldn't have internet all day I called Alicia in tears begging her to order the Stitchettes for me (thank Goddess for wonderful friends).

I went all day without internet access. All day.

Of course, I developed quite the nervous tick... what if someone needed me? What if something happened? What if I was The Last To Know? What was I going to do without the internet? How would I cope? How could I survive without "talking" to other adults? Oh My, The Horror! The Horror!

I survived by cleaning, scrapbooking (eight pages! eeeeeeiiiiiiggggghhhhhhttttt!!!!) and working on the cookbook. And really, I barely survived.

Around 10 o'clock last night Aaron fixed the modem and connections.

Do you know what he had the audacity to do?

He played on the computer (stupid Google Earth) and wouldn't give it to me. Needless to say, I'll be looking up divorce attorneys on the internet today.

16 comments:

laeroport said...

I MISSED you yesterday. Glad you're back today. And google earth is great! Lawrence is the center of the world!

Anonymous said...

The internet certainly is an addiction isn't it? I get that twitchy, shakey feeling of panic when something is wrong with my connection.

LLA said...

I'm not mocking your pain, I am really not - but I did have to let you know that this post had me in stitches!!!! You did a wonderful job of describing exactly how I feel when the internets aren't working.

I mean, really, you'd think a big series of tubes would be a tad more reliable, wouldn't you???

Anonymous said...

Bad husband, bad! bad! (I'd have complimented him on fixing the problem if he had just let you get your internet fix afterward.) I'm glad to see you back online!

Anonymous said...

WElcome back. Bad internet,bad. bad. Glad it is fixed now and that you got some stuff done yesterday. Was Aaron like playing "keep away" with the computer? playground bully.

I guess everyone feels the same when their connection go down. We are all addicts.

Junie Moon said...

Gosh, you make me laugh! I loved the "What if I was The Last To Know?" part--that's how I feel if my internet connection goes down for some reason; it's rare but I always panic. Makes me realize how dependent I am on my computer. When it does happen it's always right when there's something I want on eBay and the auction end is approaching (I'm an eBay sniper and proud of it).

Anonymous said...

dude, you think YOU had it bad - we were left with NO SNARKY COMMENTARY from you yesterday. ACK.

it was rough.

don't do that to us again, 'kay?

Very Mary said...

You have my full permission to maim your husband in his sleep.

Marshamlow said...

What no Internet? The horror. Glad it all got worked out.

Joanna said...

Our internet goes down sometimes and I haaaate it! Can't stand being cooped up in the house with no connection to the outside world. Glad you're back!

Anonymous said...

A whole day without the internets?!!! I nearly went crazy last week after 3 hours of no internets. How cruel is that? and how cruel was Aaron for not letting you on asap!

beki said...

Not having the internet sucks! There were a few days where I didn't have any access and it nearly killed me. I'm glad you survived.

Anonymous said...

glad you're up and running again! it stinks to lose connection like that.

Anonymous said...

OMG - LMAO. I HATE when I lose my connection to the rest of the world. What ever DID we do before the internet?!? To make matter worse DH subscribed to that stupid ass Vonage phone - so when I have no internet I also have no phone. Who is the brilliant ass who came up with this product? And WHY the HELL are we subscribing!?! Thank GOD for cell phones. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Yeah - I've become quite dependent on the internet as well. I'm glad you got some scrapbooking done. If you had a computer, you might not have gotten that done!

Mia said...

Hey girl.. that rash looks icky ::laughing:: and yes, I'd say you have grounds for divorce when you have had NO access all day.. I can sympathize!