Friday, August 18, 2006

Oh, Won't You Stay Just a Little Bit Longer

Today is the one-year mark of me actually keeping up this blog (amazing! I know!).

I wish I could invite each and every one of you all over for coffee or tea, to sit and chit-chat in person, to let the kids play together.

But, alas, that is just not possible. So here's a cake so we can pretend...


Gluten-Free Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake

12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
1 ¼ cups sour cream

2 ¼ cup gluten-free flour mix*
¼ cup corn starch
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 ½ teaspoons xantham gum

For the Cinnamon Swirl:
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons cinnamon
¾ cup chopped pecans (optional)

For the Glaze:
½ cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk


Preheat over to 350 degrees.

In an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Add eggs one at a time and blend until incorporated; scrape down the sides. Add vanilla and sour cream and blend until smooth.

In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients with a wire whisk. With the electric mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients until blended and fully combined. With a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides and hand mix until everything is incorporated and smooth.

In a small bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon and pecans.

With the butter‚’s wrapper, butter the inside of a 10-inch tube or bunt cake pan. Pour half of the batter into the pan, spreading and leveling with a knife. Sprinkle the cinnamon mix on top, careful not to touch the pan. Pour the remaining batter over the top, and spread again with a knife.

Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 50 minutes, until a knife put through the center of the tube comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack for 45 minutes; invert cake on to cake plate and let cool at least another 30 minutes before glazing.

In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth (add more sugar or milk to achieve desired ability). With a spoon, drizzle the cake with the glaze, encouraging it to flow over the edges.

Enjoy!

*Gluten-free four mix: In a resealable container, place 2 cups brown rice four, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 2/3 cup potato starch. Place the lid on the container and shake until fully combined.

Don't want to make it gluten-free? Replace the gluten-free flour mix with all purpose flour and omit the xantham gum. (And yes, LLA, you can increase the amount of vanilla if you so choose -- I use double strength vanilla and I think it may still need more...)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogversary!!!! The recivpe sounds (and looks) yummy!

And I am sending you so many good vibes for the doctor's appt. today. I hope he let's you get rid of mr. stinky feet - I mean the boot. Let us know how it all works out!

Anonymous said...

Happy 1 year! Kuddos. Thanks for the cake.

LLA said...

A very happy blogiversary to you!

The cake recipe looks yum! And you've introduced me to a new thing: double strength vanilla! Who knew? Of course, you realize that you are just enabling my vanilla addiction, don't you???

Anonymous said...

Yay for one year!

Thanks for the recipe. My step-grandma can't have gluten, and I always feel bad when she's just eating the middle out of my pies!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary! Yummy cake all around!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, a whole year? That cake looks scrumptious. If it's as good as your madeleines, count me in! ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy One Year! Very cool!
That cakes looks yummy! If it weren't one thousand degrees over here I just might bake one.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm.

Happy blogiversary, sweets!

PamKittyMorning said...

Happy Anniversary. Loved the cake! You rock.

Anonymous said...

cake looks excellent. may have to try this gluten-free business ... :)

happy one year o'bloggin'.

you make me laugh, daily.

*stupid foot!


(*that's how i'm ending all my comments here from now on)

kirsten said...

Happy happy! I'll pass the recipe on to my sis. May even have to try it myself (despite my lack of cooking) - it looks very good!

patrice said...

My Annie would love to play with the boys! How nice it would be to have tea at your house. I'm inspired by your one-year mark.
Congrats on loosing the boot-thing.
Sorry about your ass.
The accident post freaked me out. I feel so sad for the man who has lost his life and is fighting for his own. I don't want to die in a car.

patrice said...

I ment "wife" in the previous comment. I hope it's not some horrible freudian slip prediction.

diana said...

Happy anniversary... and yes I would like a piece of that cake... and a bit of tea too !! yummmmm that was good.... thanks !!