Friday, May 18, 2007

Again, it Seems We Meet, in the Spaces in Between, We Always Say (Too Much) it Won't Be Long, Oh But Something's Always Wrong

Part of the fall-out of us all being sick has been a canceled trip to Michigan to visit Aaron's family.

Considering the fact that all three of my boys are still sick (I'm doing better, but still not completely over it), it's probably for the best. And considering the fact that the trip was going to be so fucking short that I couldn't visit any friends. Well, then. We all know I have my priorities.

So this weekend we are hoping (I am hoping) to get a lot of stuff done in the garden. Starting with this...


... my front bed featuring my pretty knock-out roses. They got hit super hard by that cocksucking frost a few weeks ago, but they are finally bouncing back. I need to do a little trim of the newly dead branches, rake out the leaves, transport the leaves to the backyard (hey! they are really good for the garden! keep your leaves, people, keep your leaves!) and find some under planting for them.

Normally, I do some pink throat, white vinca. But I want something different this year, something still drought tolerant, but pretty. Any suggestions?

And then that brings us around to this...


... this monster of a fucking bush that has to be trimmed back monthly. Can you say, "Swallowing the whole damn porch?"

Speaking of swallowing stuff up...


... hello overgrowth! Gah.


Hey, didn't there use to be a greenhouse there? And hello what is suppose to be a compost bin which my husband uses as a yard trash receptacle. Um, yeah. Those need to be worked on too.


The island! The island! That needs to be raked, weeded and have seeds planted. Do you think that will get accomplished this weekend?


::sigh:: At least something is pretty over here.


Oh look. Stuff I still haven't planted yet. Hmph.


Oh yeah. more rose bushes with dead canes. Thanks, frost. Thanks a lot.


Oh yeah. The side bed. Where I have to rake, transport the leaves and rototill so I can plant hundreds of zinnia seeds.

My children have dubbed today as "National Costume Day." Which means they want to wear costumes out of the house today. Do you think I care? I do not.

Friday Lego love -- I totally think I needs this ice cube tray. (Thanks Lera!)

So, yeah. Who thinks all that is gettin' done this weekend?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you'll get it all done but I chuckled out loud at "cocksucking frost". Brings to mind all sorts of images.

amy h said...

That's a lot of gardening to do for one weekend! :) I have only gotten as far as the front yard. The back yard needs help. We have lots of frostbitten, half-dead looking stuff.

For your front bed... I always like moss rose, but the rabbits like it, too, so I don't bother anymore. Snapdragons and cosmos are both pretty, too. And with snapdragons, you can do the whole pinch-puppet thing! :)

lera said...

I was a bit overwhelmed reading your weekend to-do list. Good luck, girl! And when you're done, do you want to come to Maryland and help me?

Anonymous said...

I'm thinkin' no. I have yet to pull a weed or plant a seed this spring. And the herbs I bought at market a month ago have died before I could get them planted.

Yeah, that's how I get all the sewing done.

Glad you're feeling better. Hope the boys are soon. (So they can help you, of course.)

And if you need to take a break, say noonish on Saturday, please see my blog. ;)

Renee said...

Well, if you get it all done, I'm going to contract you out to come down to La. and do my yard.
Happy weeding!

Angelina said...

When you move here, will you promise not to show Max all your lego findings?

You'll get lots done, I can feel it!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll get more done than I will! We're getting ready for a playdate this afternoon and a dinner party tomorrow. I'll be all ready to become a hermit by Sunday, I'm sure.

Berber said...

I'm sure you'll get it all done!
(but you'd better get started NOW and work through the night...)

Chickenbells said...

Thats quite a long list my dear...I have made one similar for myself, and have installed a new shower head at midnight in a fancy dress...cleaned out tee-shirts and tanks (which was not on the list, but needs to be if I plan on putting away the 3 laundry baskets of CLEAN clothes, so I can do this weeks laundry)

Good luck, and I'm glad you're feeling better...and you've solved the delima of having the best ice cubes in the world (not that it was a delima particularly)

LJ said...

what a lovely yard!!

Ali said...

You're going to hate me, but I went to Legoland with the kids yesterday and guess what I brought home with me...

The lady in the shop said they are great for chocolate too.

Anonymous said...

can only think the family is relieved to not have that element visit....

nice bush

Anonymous said...

Hey your yard looks a lot like mine! I've been watering three flats of annuals and about ten plus perennials for about a month now. lol ;) The frost killed my tiny red roses on the side yard but I found a live cane today. Yippee! It was the storm that blew through a couple of weeks back that caused more trouble - freaking hail ripped my hostas to shreds.

Anonymous said...

my kids wear weird stuff all the time. (do you think I care?).

No 2 was fond of wearing a fluorescent yellow policeman in the fog outfit to pick up his brother from school last year. Very fetching.

And last week I bought him a wetsuit (so they can play in the paddling pool even if it's not very very hot) and he insisted on keeping it on out of the shop/during the grocery shopping/all the way home.

See you're not alone.