Thursday, May 17, 2007

I Got You - That's All I Want

Before I got horribly sick this weekend (but still sick, as I had to load up a box of tissues and two bottles of decongestant to take with me), one of my best friends was in town and I went to visit her grandparents with her.

My friend, Duff, and I have been friends since seventh grade. A mutual friend introduced us, whom quickly became mutual enemies to both of us.

I love Duff's grandma. She's the grandma I've always wanted.


Do you see that? Grandma is wearing a quilt shirt. A quilt shirt. And she's standing in one of her two sewing rooms in front of her quilt reference library. (One of two rooms people, ONE OF TWO ROOMS.)


Grandma is currently working on an embroidery quilt. A whole quilt. That's been embroidered. By her. By hand. Whole quilt.


This is the hexagon quilt Grandma is working on. She recently ripped it all apart because the green use to be white and Grandma thought that was too stark. She does all her piecing by hand, but no paper. BY HAND. PIECING BY HAND.

Grandma has a whole closet of quilt tops. I wanted to rub them against my naked body. When she heard that, she wouldn't even let me see the newest ones. Hmph.


And Grandma is an avid gardener too. She has over 70 peonies. I even counted. And rows upon rows upon rows of veggies and other flowers too.

When I grow up, I want to be as cool as Grandma.

23 comments:

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

can we agare her....Sounds like she was a good tonic for you.
Suzie Sews

Oil Cloth Junkie said...

2 rooms?!!?!!!? That's pretty freakin' awesome. Grandma's are the coolest. Too bad she wouldn't let you near the quilt tops, but to be honest, I don't know if I'd leave you alone with them either.
(hahahahahahaha)

Anonymous said...

me too.

Angel Jem said...

Too cool. She is some rocking grandma....

Marshamlow said...

My Grandma is like that too. But, now that she has all the time in the world to do all the things she loves, she says she is just waiting to die. The grass is always greener.

Chickenbells said...

How wonderful! My grandmother is an amazing seamstress...but, I still wanted to inherit someone elses once in a while (attitudes that one has you know) There's nothing like getting your friends family members as your own...somehow they understand you better!

beki said...

Awesome! I want to be like that too :-)

Anonymous said...

You will be that cool. You're already on your way.

PamKittyMorning said...

I agree, that's how cool I want to be too!

Ali said...

That grandma's ripe for adoption. Would she like any extra grandchildren do you think?

Erin M said...

damn that IS one cool grammie. Mine just used to feed me ice cream sandwiches and mix herself "grandma juice" all day long when i'd stay at her house. I have such a yearning to quilt. Apparently my grammie was a great seamstress before she fell into the "grandma juice"

LJ said...

me three!

amy h said...

Cool grandma!

We've been going through my step-grandma's house, and I can't believe all of the handpieced quilt tops. And I can't get one little quilt finished.

MichelleB said...

Two rooms! Something to aspire too. And I agree with Michelle - not sure I would let you alone with the quilt tops either. LOL

Anonymous said...

Grandma is too cool! Sorry that you've been banned from the quilt tops, though.

I have several of my late mom's works in progress, which she also did entirely by hand. They are the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Something to aspire to! :)

lera said...

That's some Grandma.

Anonymous said...

Any Grandma with TWO sewing room s is welcome to be a grandma of mine.

And Split Enz!! You know Split Enz!!!! The very first concert I ever went to was Split Enz :D I didn't think anyone would know them in the States?

LLA said...

I didn't even know that there *were* 70 kinds of peonies. And they're may favorites!

Hmph. I'll never be as cool as Grandma.

(hope you're all better!)

Anonymous said...

my grandma doesnt sew, she crochets those plastic napkin holders and toilet paper covers...
::sigh::
oh, wait, she did crochet a Mexican hat cover for my tobasco sauce. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why my tobasco needs a sombrero.

Anonymous said...

The point everyone here is missing is that CLEARLY this woman has some kind of mystical control over her husband so that she was able to have TWO SEWING ROOMS!!! I want to know her secret! lol

Anonymous said...

bet you'll be even cooler!

Angelina said...

So how can one become as cool as Grandma? Are there secrets to it? Do you have to start off as a cool person when your young or can coolness develop like a fine mold on aging cheese?