Thursday, April 17, 2008

And it Feels Like Love, and it's All That We've Got

Hey, remember when I made a pillow top?

And then I bitched about it taking forever to hand quilt?

Guess what!

I finally finished the quilting!

TODAY.


Tiny, bitty hand stitches. No wonder those quilt store ladies laughed at me.

Now, no, I have not been working on this since July. I think I packed it up when I got mad at its slowness and just found it two weeks ago.

And even though the quilting is done, I still need to sew a back on it. Oy.

So (yeah, hi! that's how I transition around here: VERY LITTLE NOTICE), I've been kicking around this of documenting what I complete in a day, every day next week. Very little excitement and lots of dulling dribble, I'm sure.

But often I feel as though I'm not accomplishing much around here, but in reality I am -- I just focus on what I wanted to accomplish and get mad at myself for not completing in a day everything I wanted to do.

I'm not sure how it would go, and I'm quite convinced it would be boring (I mean, how interesting can I make "did three loads of laundry" five days in a row sound?) but I do think a reminder might help me realize that ultimately, I am accomplishing a lot. Just not a lot of crafting.

Or would that be lame?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hell no! Not lame at all. I personally think of it as quite an accomplishment if I shower every day. (That's not a joke)I think you are right about getting ALOT accomplished but it never feels like we are doing anything because we do the same stuff everyday. They become so routine we don't look at them as accomplishments but definetly look at them as failures if they don't get done. Dishes, laundry, meals, cleaning, hygeine.... If you write down all that you dog get done I think you would be shocked at how AMAZING you really are. I look at my hubby and think, pleeeease, he couldn't even do half of what I do. I love him alot but he has no idea how to multitask.

This subject has been on my mind as well. Mabye you can tell from my long winded comment. :)

Oil Cloth Junkie said...

oh, it turned out pretty, pretty!
I forgot about the hula girl fabric, who made that?

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you posted that. I've been thinking I need to switch from making lists of things I haven't done yet to lists of things I have done. Yes, it would be boring, but it would make me feel more productive.

montague said...

i am seriously impressed! and it looks sooo pretty!

Chickenbells said...

Not lame. I mean, look at Bridget Jones, she made drinking and loosing and gaining weight funny...Plus, patting yourself on the back just gives you the opportunity to DO even more (that's my theory, then again, I haven't folded my clean laundry in a while)

I am loving the pillow by the way...that is not easy work to do, and you did a darn nice job.

Anonymous said...

nice work!

i know what you mean - sometimes i love looking at my (lame, boring) lists of (lame, boring) stuff to do during the day - because then i realize that i DID stuff!

Ali said...

No, not lame at all. The only time I really realize how much I do, is when I get a day off and have to write down instructions for someone else (and they get to skip the whole cleaning/laundry part).

Maybe we all need to do 24 hours just to pat ourselves on the back.

LauraJ said...

no wonder you've lost it...you're not crafting enough. you know that crafting is medicine for the stressed out mama's soul right?

Stephanie ODea said...

ack!! congratulations!!!!!

misschris said...

Sweetie, that is beautiful. Nicely done. :) I love it.

lera said...

Woo-hoo! It looks great!

nuttnbunny said...

You deserve an award.

Norma said...

Do it!!!

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

blog what you are doing..because life takes time and you need to list all the stuff so years later you can look back and say No Wonder I was So Fuckin' Tired!

btw awesome pillow!

Anonymous said...

Dang, I feel that way all the time, too. I don't think that's a lame project at all. In fact, it's probably one I need to do too.