Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Take Advice From My Exorcist

Oh my holy hell, this is not going to become All About Kindergarten. Really. I swear.

That said...

So, Griffin is getting a new teacher. One week before school began, Griffin's Kindergarten teacher mentioned the possibility of getting a new teacher. Their numbers were high, about 18 in each class. By the first day it was 24 and 23. Word came yesterday that the school is definitely hiring a new teacher and all the half-day kids (which includes Griffin) is going to the new class.

Upon hearing that news, I decided to email the principal last night. I went into great details about the HOSPITAL VISITS and the BLEEDING OUT THE ASS and DUNCHA FUCK WITH MAH BAYBEE. But, you know, with better grammer and spelling.

Even though Griffin had a good yesterday (and I'll be damned if he doesn't LOVE school and scream when I mention home schooling), I'm concerned about all the different teachers he sees in a day. And I don't know why everything seems to be food-related there, but it's rather ridiculous. And not having a policy of letting every teacher he visits know about the allergies is even more ridiculous.

Word came today after school that a new teacher begins tomorrow. :: blink, blink:: Tomorrow. Additionally, the new teacher is going to be a long-term substitute until a full time replacement comes.

So this means that I have to teach at least two more teachers about all this shit. Oh my fuck.

The principal emailed me back today and it was very good I had alerted him to this issue. He wasn't aware of any Kindergarteners with allergies other than peanuts.

So... we now have a new plan of action. With the principal. Who swears all the insanity is gonna stop now.

Meanwhile, meet my new best friend:

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd like to spend some time with your best friend too. And I hope that things get better now that the principal is involved. Your first kindergarten teacher sounds like a dim bulb... I hope you have better luck next time!

Angelina said...

I have just tried to write about three comments which all turned out to be especially asinine so instead I'll just say:

drink up!

Oil Cloth Junkie said...

Good thing you let the principal in on all the craziness. That way no one can play dumb later, and um, you are saving all these emails, right? you know, just in case...

Wendy said...

I'm not sure if it works the same in your state, but our schools get funded based on how many kids go there.

They do the official count on the first picture day here.

If you want any leverage at all with the principal (like threatening to change schools) make sure you have regular talks before that day. After that, if you leave, they'd be happy because they'd already have this years money and one less kid.

robiewankenobie said...

my mother's best friend always says, "never mess with the underlings, darling." i'm glad you emailed the big cheese.

lera said...

I think Griffin needs an emergency shirt to wear. Like an emergency bracelet, but in shirt style (large enough to accomodate all the rules). He should wear it every day for the first month of school.

Heidijayhawk said...

good for you. glad you went to the top. if your principal is worth shit this should all be taken care of now. be active. be involved. drink lotsa rum.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. Rum and coke, baby. I'll be right over.

Chickenbells said...

Man...take a sweet drink of your new best friend for me too! Give her kisses and whisper sweet nothings into her ear...Take a bottle and bribe the new interim teacher. The boy is not going to know what to do when everything is stabilized...

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the fun. Hey - I think your best friend knows my best friend Jose Cuervo!

Anonymous said...

As difficult as teachers can be, (I am a first grade teacher) we do want to please you and your child. Keep communicating your son's and your needs to the school and eventually you will be heard. Just remember that you may need to raise your voice or repeat your words once in a while.

Keep with it, your son is totally worth it! Have a couple of drinks for me!

Anonymous said...

Definitely hoping it all improves now that the principal is involved. And you know, it is going to become old hat to you educating his teachers - you'll have to do it every year anyway, right? I sort of see it as a good thing that you are personally going to be the one telling them all, because then you personally know what has been said and that nothing has been missed. That being said, I know it isn't easy. Just it's a good thing Griffin has you :)

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Been away for a wek, Man...so much to catch up on...you have been through S**** this week. I can so relate to the new teacher thing, my oldest has had a new 'not quite' qualified teacher all the way though his school except from his reception year, that a new one ever year, as a child with a hearing problem it has been painful, lots of visits into school...Hope he takes to her.
Suzie Sews

Anonymous said...

They did that to my son last year in first grade - let him get going for 3 months with one teacher and then moved him to a new room because they hired an additional teacher. It SUCKED!!! I'm hoping on every level that it will work out better for Griffin (and you!). And I wanted to comment about yesterday's post about the allergies and stupid teachers, but, well, I couldn't think of anything appropriate but "dumbasses". Hang in there!!!

Anonymous said...

I saw a tshirt once that said "Don't feed my anything. I have allergies."

Our day care makes sure to ask every single time if Cale has any allergies. And we live in such a small community. I would think there would be someone there who understood! I hope the new teacher understands. maybe a few of those allergy pictures you show us are necessary to get the point across! Poor Griffin.

Stephanie said...

If the pricipal fails you there is always the super intendant.
p.s. I think your friend is pretty cute ;)
Best of luck !

Anonymous said...

Seriously - move to Lawrence. While Aaron is gone. That will teach him to go on a three week business trip. And maybe cure his hording issues.

Anonymous said...

And ditto what Lera said.

Anonymous said...

this is sounding better - hope it all gets resolved and griffin (and you) can have a good year. in the meantime, enjoy your new best friend.

Anonymous said...

Pass me a glass... I'm exhausted for you and also feeling celebratory that the principal gets it!

Berber said...

Wow, not the smartest people there... and you expect them to teach science?!

LA said...

I'm with angelina. Cheers! LA

PS I hope the story has a happy ending.

PPS Loving your thrifty scores.