Monday, August 27, 2007

On Candystripe Legs Spiderman Comes

One may thing that by now I would have fully completed all my bitching, complaining and moaning about our incompetent school in regards to Kindergarten.

Well, one would be TOTALLY FUCKING WRONG.

at least the walk there is nice

School began last Monday, word came on Tuesday the school would be hiring a new teacher due to the high enrollment. On Wednesday a note was sent home that the half-day kids would be sent to the new Kindergarten class on Thursday.

Thursday morning I walked Griffin down the new classroom IN THE BASEMENT. The walls were white, there was carpet on the floor and a substitute teacher.

Yeah, that's it.

On Friday it looked exactly the same, but with two small tables and chairs. The kids did not have their pencil boxes. They did not have their towels their parents provided. No shirts for paint, hell no paints to speak of either. There was not art center, no science center, no books to read.

There was no tissue paper that the parents had provided. No diaper wipes the parents provided. No bottles of glue the parents had provided.

No cubbies for their stuff, no stuff to put in their cubbies. One hook for backpacks (compared to having three hooks in the official rooms -- one for backpacks, one for coats and one for hats).

On Friday the principal left an automated message on the answering machine. He realizes we parents are concerned.

Today he sent home a two page note that was basically worthless.

Dumbass, I know why you needed to hire another teacher. The enrollment was high. I. Got. It. I'm not fucking stupid.

But that doesn't explain why, instead of hiring two sub para-pros, you put a substitute teacher IN THE BASEMENT with the kids and NO SUPPLIES.

In the note today it even mentions that the curriculum is on order. What the fuck? Does that mean BESIDES BEING IN THE BASEMENT WITH NOTHING TO DO, my son isn't even working of a curriculum? Are you fucking kidding me with this shit?

And yeah, okay, everything is on order. Don't fucking tell me you have no idea when this shit is scheduled to be delivered.

And why is it that it's the half day kids that are being thrown in the basement with any supplies? That's a little something I'd like to call fiscal discrimination (full day kids' parents pay $250 a month each to be full day). Why not the kids that had the late enrollment? Why not a class of full day kids?

I feel like I'm Fucking Losing My Mind with this god damn school.

27 comments:

Ali said...

I think I might just be tempted to have my kid at home until they get their mess sorted out. Not funny.

lera said...

Oy, Laura. I can see why you are upset!!!!! I would be livid. The prinicipal would regret knowing me. It would not be pretty.

Didn't they realize BEFORE school started that enrollment was high? I'm sure it wasn't the first day of school before they noticed it.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! What a fiasco. I think you need to move into my neighborhood and into my school. They haven't pulled any crap like that...

LJ said...

i agree with the above statement! this is absolutely preposterous!

amy h said...

It seems like a crowded -- but equipped -- classroom would be better until they sort this out than sticking them in an empty basement. Those kids have to be going nuts down there. What do they mean the curriculum is "on order"? You order curriculums? That's not how it went when I was in ed school. I'm only certified (never taught after college), so I'm sure I don't know the real-world aspect of this, but I do know that any certified teacher would know how to teach a class without leaning on a purchased curriculum...

Berber said...

An empty basement?!
Wow.

LA said...

I continue to find myself speechless with your predicament.

Amy said...

Wow. I agree COMPLETELY with ali that I would keep my child home until they get their shit together. I realize this is 'easy said' since it is not my child and my situation, but oh my Hell that school needs some major improvements. Where are the school supplies you sent? What are they thinking sending kids to a basement without a fully functioning classroom? They need to get their heads out of their asses. What are the other parents' reactions?

Kim -today's creative blog said...

that is bad! I think you should look for a new school. So many red flags. I know it's hard to determine enrollment for kindergarten since not all register before hand, but come on! Where are all of the supplies you brought? I can see how hard it will be to send Griffin the next few days. Poor thing.

Oil Cloth Junkie said...

oh, honey.
um, you know, Lawrence has free all day kindergarten. just saying.

Anonymous said...

Thats horrible. I hope they get their act together. I think someone seriously dropped the ball.
And the poor kids are paying for it.

Anonymous said...

me too. speechless I mean.

I hope it improves. FAST.

Anonymous said...

wow.
i'm so, so sorry.
seriously, i would NOT send my kid back until they had things straightened out - esp. griffin. and i agree with gwendomama - talk other parents into keeping their kids home, too for a while. that is above and beyond UNCOOL. better home with no homeschool than school with .... no school.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but the problem with the enrollment thing is that, at least in MY school district, they don't have enrollment until the week before school starts. That gives them, what, one freaking week to realize they have WAY too many kids and to do something about it? This happened to my son last year and he was in the basement too. It was a tiny bit more organized than the shit they're doing to you - but schools are insane. Too much red tape and other bullshit. I'm sorry you're having to go through this!!!

Wendy said...

If it's this fucked up during the first week, it will only get worse. This is when they're on their best behavior. There is no excuse for it.

Change schools is my advice.

Heidijayhawk said...

its time to get fuckin drastic laura. that is NOT right and could affect the way he thinks of school for a really long time. i'd pull him till they get their shit together. doesn't seem like they are committed to teaching him anything in the meantime!

Chickenbells said...

I'm voting the principal off the island...I am so sorry this is happening!

I want so badly for this to be a good experience for him...

I'm sorry these people are dipshits!

paper. string. cloth said...

Jesus, Lady,
I don't even know what to say.
I'm down with the idea of a posse of parents though!
Good luck, and don't take any shit from that Principal! (not that I think you would, of course!)
xxx

Anonymous said...

oh boy. not good at all. go in and have a face to face with the principal and pull him out if you have to. i think if it were me, i would go about the principal's head if he wasn't doing anything proactive....you know, to the school board.

Anonymous said...

Man. Sounds like the school system sucks where you are too. You could always lose your mind another way - homeschool. Come on. Join me in my quest to totally lose my mind. It's fun. Maybe today you could send him with legos.

beki said...

My god, that's insane. Do you have any other options?

Anonymous said...

well that really does suck. poor griffin! no the best way to start his brilliant scholastic career!

Unknown said...

OHHHHHH I'd be so tempted to home school or transfer my child or anything to get him out of the basement room....grrrrr!

Anonymous said...

It's time to start calling school board members. That situation for any age group is ridiculous. I work for a school district and believe me, when board members get contacted by parents, shit gets done. You may also consider calling your local investigative reporter at the newspaper or tv station. Schools HATE negative publicity. In this case, they deserve it. The high enrollment should not have been a surprise; this happens every year in schools. Get on the phone, have other parents call the school board, contact the board secretary to get on the next board meeting agenda. The board members phone numbers are public record, so you shouldn't have any problem getting in touch with them. Good Luck.

Stephanie said...

Start recruiting parents and get a large group togther to get in touch with the superintendent. This is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Seriously call radio stations and news crews. Pressure them to get their shit together. MAKE A SCENCE!!!! Ugg, Hang in there...but put up a fight!

Angelina said...

All I can say is that that is complete bull S*%T. If they are going to separate the kids they need to divvy up the supplies that ALL of the parents helped provide. The school should at least lend the empty class some curriculum and other things the class needs. shouldn't the teacher be capable of coming up with a temporary curriculum.

Jesus.

Poor Griffin.

grandmadolly said...

I am the wife of a retired teacher. All my kids are adults with children. From my experience--one thing that gets attention is a group of parents with concerns attending a school board meeting. Most of them are parents too. They probably have no clue as to what is happening at your school. Present your concerns in a matter of fact way, emphasize the disservice being given to your children, how it affects their attitude re education, etc. Do not get emotional but be very firm in asking for some immediate changes. Attend a school board meeting and do it ASAP. There is power in numbers-and remember you are paying that principal's salary
!!