Thursday, August 23, 2007

I Talk Out Loud Like You're Still Arou-hound

Yeah, in case you have forgotten: Aaron's been out of town on a business trip. Still is.

The only upside to Aaron being out on business trips is that I'm able to Get Shit Done without him trying to prevent me or bitch about it.

Case in point: the Thrift Store Gods have been smiling upon me this past week. My favorite purchase:


A very old, very heave metal and wooden desk and chair. The paint is disgusting, chipped and bumpy.

Four cans of Royal Blue spray paint and three layers of polyurethane on the desk top later and it looks like this:


And now the boys fight over it.

A few days ago I went to another thrift store to get Griffin a shirt to use as a smock (Aaron refused to give up any of his shirts he hasn't worn in the past ten years, damn his hording issues). So I ended up getting a bunch of shirts (to cut up for sewing projects), some sweaters for felting and this:


A three dollar quilt. It's currently being washed a dried. It has a lot of tears in the patchwork but come on, three dollars!

And if Aaron was home through all of this, you had better believe he would have been don't spray paint that now and what's all those shirts for? and you're gonna do WHAT to those sweaters? and why'd you get a falling-apart quilt?

Phsaw. Men.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooohh! I'd be fighing over that too. And the quilt! Ack! The quilt.

Angeleen said...

Sounds exactly like my house!

You should have heard my husband fuss over me bringing home a 100+ year-old butcher block from my great aunt's basement. It was so funny I had to blog about it.

http://luckysevencatranch.blogspot.com/2007/06/whats-not-to-love.html

You found some GREAT stuff, Girl! Love the blue. Good job!

Angelina said...

Dammit. Why don't I find cool stuff like that? I don't have the thrift gods smiling down on me.

Chickenbells said...

You know it baby!

I love being able to drag stuff home on a whim...and congrats for getting right to all your projects and getting them done and put away before the boy comes home...chances are, he won't even notice anything new...

Oh, unless he reads your blog (tee-hee)

Ali said...

The desk looks goood - always a good sign when the kiddoes fight over something!

Anonymous said...

Awesome job on the desk! I need to hunt up one of those. Isn't it funny how sometimes the men are more of an impediment than anything else?

LJ said...

lol...when the cat's away the mice will play!! tee hee...you rock the thrift finds! love the royal blue color. as a teen that was my favorite color!
i love the "falling-apart-quilt" phrase. you could cut it up make an apron, a table cloth, cushions anything!

Alicia A. said...

CUTE desk. Score!

(I hope Griffin had a better day at school today.)

Anonymous said...

the desk and chair look awesome. i'd fight the boys for them. bet i could take 'em.

Anonymous said...

THAT.DESK.ROCKS!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the desk!!

Really what good are men once the kids pop out? I just keep mine around for kicks. Oh, and once in a while he cleans up after the dog.

amy h said...

Nice redo on the desk and chair!

Elise was asking to see "Darwin-boy" this morning. So far, you are just "lady." :)

Anonymous said...

you lucky duck. great finds!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

sometime's it's nice to be able to call all the shots without the peanut gallery. oooops, didn't mean to mention peanuts. :)
Love the desk!

I hope you get this school thing figured out quickly. So irritating.

Anonymous said...

There comes a point in the marriage (can't remember exactly when. Probably about 15 yrs in)where they just give up on the Whys?? and learn to live with it. Hell, they even start doing the sanding for you! I call them his "Defeated Years".

Sarah and Jack said...

Some lovely things there!

Amy said...

You definetely have a talent for thrifting. I NEVER have luck like that. You rock

Oil Cloth Junkie said...

That's one purty desk & chair. Glad you survived the fumes.

PamKittyMorning said...

Hope today was a better school day. I was afraid when I saw the desk that OHMYGOD THEY'RE MAKING HIM SIT OUTSIDE.

Sorry. I over reacted.
(But really, its not that big a stretch!)
Hope Friday goes well and the week ends on a happy note!

Mia said...

Good score!!!

Anonymous said...

He, he...Aaron, meet my hubby Sergio. Two peas in a pod those two. Or is it just men in general that dont understand why you can not adopt a well loved homeless quilt?

Now, about that website...Im free.

Anonymous said...

Ah, that quilt rocks!!! I never find quilts!

Anonymous said...

Men! My husband gives me grief when I bring home stuff too, then when its all re-done and someone comes over and compliments it, he's all like, yeah we picked that up for almost nothing and did some work on it and now look at it . . . . (WE?) Sheesh.

lera said...

Men!

You are a very lucky thrifter. The chair/desk combo is so great! I can envision your boys fighting over it. My boys would be all over it, too.

Amanda Jean said...

$3 quilt??? that is awesome!

love the desk and chair, too.

Chara Michele said...

I like the color you painted the desk! So bright & cheery! :)