Monday, November 13, 2006

Oh, Every Time I Lose My Head

Whew. Painting the walls are done.

north view
east view
south view
west view

The color is beautiful in low light, but slightly harsh in bright light. And shiny. Like, too shiny. I'm convincing myself that it's just my brain not adjusting to the change. Aaron wants me to do a glaze in a darker tone. But, hello finances. And it will look a lot different once the blinds are up, the flooring is changed and the room is full of furniture.

Speaking of which... we have carpet in there and it needs to be changed out. I was going to do some el cheapo self adhesive tiles, but I started to get concerned about the floor underneath the carpet.

This room use to be a breezeway and the previous owners enclosed it in the late '70s. It is a concrete pad with some interesting rubbery flooring on top. After watching about a zillion shows of This Old House (which I learned quite a bit from), I started to get concerned that they flooring contains asbestos. My neighbor, who's a contractor, came over and took a look at it. Of course, I'm right (what else would you expect from a nerd?). Which? Shit.

So now it sounds like we have to do a floating floor on top. Which: a. Awesome and b. Fucking Finances Again.

So now I have a new project to look forward to in that room. Once the windows, doors and trim are painted (the EcoSpec semi-gloss is on order, it likely isn't coming in until tomorrow afternoon) we'll clean up and put the room back together for the holidays. This gives us just enough time to tear each other's hair out over what floating floor we want. I want cork. I like cork. Cork is pretty and good for the environment. Aaron doesn't like it. Nor does he have any suggestions.

What is it with men and their dumbassery skills?

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that wall color, and I like the looks of the cork too. Maybe he will change his mind!

Emy said...

Your walls look great! Woo hoo for finishing! I'm sure you will like them better once everything's in place. What sheen did you choose?

We had to re-do our entry room floor in our old house and we got a really good deal with lumber liquidators. So check them out! The commercial really is true! And endorsed by Bob Vila, so there. :D

Anonymous said...

The paint looks awesome, and it may well look less shiny once everything is back in place. I like the cork too. But isn't it funny how these home improvement projects always wind up sucking up even more time and money than you expect? Ah, the joys of old houses...

heatherfeather said...

whoa - it's antimicrobial? that in of itself is enough to sell me on cork.

the room looks great. i hope you wind up loving it in all light - congratulations on finishing the walls!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! That green is in no way harsh. I bet you just aren't used to it yet. And it won't seem so shiny after a while. The shine does fade a little. You'll be happy when you're having to wipe off handprints -- shiny is much easier.

Cork doesn't just have one look -- has Aaron seen more than one type?

Also, linoleum tiles (yes, linoleum!) can be really cool and cheap, too. Here's how cool they can be:

http://decor8.blogspot.com/2006/11/fab-floor.html

Anonymous said...

beautimous.

you have been busting your ass over there, haven't you.

i vote cork. or the real-deal lino, like amy said. some very cool patterns could be done if you used the sheet flooring, the tiles are cool, too.

Soo said...

What a great colour, such a pretty green!! You guys are super fast with your painting - we have a wall that has been patched up, needs a sand and paint, and it hasn't changed for 3 weeks.

beki said...

Lookin' good!

LLA said...

I love it - and it looks like you've done a great job, too. Quite nice.

I do know what you mean about the shine thing - I feel that the bathroom turned out a little shiny for my taste - but Bubba swears I am imagining things. hmph. boys.

I like the cork as well. However, if it's not going to fly with Aaron, I bet we can find you another alternative. Are you familiar with Flor? It's pretty cool stuff...

Chickenbells said...

Yeah, cork is great...and it would go nicely with the walls don't you think? I think that when I ripped up my old linoleum in the bathroom (it was thrashed) people kept saying..."oh isn't that asbestos?" Yeah, well...who knows? I'll probably die from it later...I almost died when I was taking it up...what a pain in the butt! I could hardly move for a week afterwards I was so sore...

kirsten said...

Now I'm panicking about the lino I pulled up at our last house! Did it have asbestos in it??? When will I die?

The green is beautiful. And it would look really nice with cork. We've had cork floors in a couple of houses and it's very nice to live on - warmish and nice to walk on.

Anonymous said...

I love that colour. No 3's room is that colour.

And regarding the cork flooring? I'm with you, just tell Aaron he's been overruled by the blog mafia.

Melanie J Watts said...

The paint looks lovely. My sister has cork in her basement. It is soft and forgiving on your body. I think I might get it for my baseement

Kim -today's creative blog said...

The green looks awesome! And I say go with the cork! There are so many options. Besides, you live there 24/7 and he travels. You get to decide.

Angelina said...

I love the green!

Cork reminds of Ferdinand The Bull. But how does one clean cork? It sounds so warm and comfortable.

I have heard about Marmoleum being great because it's made with renewable non-toxic resources and comes in a billion amazing shade...but I'm not sure how anyone affords it without auctioning off one or two of their children first.

PamKittyMorning said...

Wow, its floating, my cousin is doing cork tiles and totally pain in the ass with icky adhesive and ickier sealer. You'll love a floating floor, I have laminate that looks like slate and it's amazing. And doesn't show dirt, even more amazing. Love the green.

Anonymous said...

Cork! Definitely. Or bamboo. The paint looks great, and like you said, once it is decorated, the color will be toned down (not that I think it is a bad color, I love it).

Anonymous said...

Cork, gooooood. And yea for finishing! See, my hiatius from blogging was a good thing, n'est pas?

Anonymous said...

I love cork too.

Can't wait to see it!

Leanne said...

IN our house the rule is this: if you don't like it, come up with an alternative. And the alternative better be darn good. If you can't come up with an alternative? Shut up and deal with it. Cause it's going to happen. Unless you decide to put the remote down and quit watching the military channel special on the top 10 vehicles in military history and actually come and look at what I'm even complaining about.... Yeah, I'm a nerd married to a bigger nerd. I can relate.

Anonymous said...

happy painting and clearing up and best of all admiring your hard work!!!
Suzie Sews