Monday, October 16, 2006

When Life is too Much, Roll With it Baby; Don't Stop and Lose Your Touch, Oh No Baby

We did have the garage sale Saturday. It nearly killed me (with all that carrying stuff up and down the stairs. Ouch).

For starters, the boys really wanted to "help." Which was fine for Griffin...


...until he decided to spill all the golf balls in the garage sale area.


(It's a Capello family requirement that all garage sales Must Include Golf Balls. My dad is a golfer -- invited to go on the Master's Tour and he had sponsors and yet he choose not to do it, I'll never understand why -- so we always have golf balls hiding in our homes. Not just his home, my home too.)

And Darwin, good gravy. That child is in that stage where darting into the road is a big game. And it was fine to have both boys out with me, until I had that one swarm of customers where three people wanted to pay all at the same time and I didn't know where the two boys were, but I did know Aaron was in the basement running the vacuum cleaner.

In any case, I was really proud of Aaron -- he actually brought stuff up on his own to put in the garage sale. And he was really happy to see all that stuff out of our house (and he didn't get the cord at Best Buy... he just borrowed one from work for the week, hoping ours would "show up").


That's just the line of baby clothes, behind this angle is the tables loaded with crap and furniture.

We made $150, which I guess is pretty good considering we didn't sell any of the furniture. I agreed with Aaron to let the Lay-Z-Boy and futon to go back in the basement for the next garage sale (in April). Anything that doesn't sell at that garage sale goes to a non-profit.

We didn't sell that stinkin' (I mean that figuratively and literally) buffet, so I'm gonna attack the inside and outside with white spray paint to see if that works. If not, it will go in the next garage sale as well.

After the garage sale was over, I loaded up the van and took stuff to Goodwill. I made three trips to Goodwill Saturday. I still have seven boxes of baby clothes, a high chair and a swing sitting in my entry room ready to go off to a women's shelter today (hopefully, dependent on the rain and if there's anymore vomiting today).

I must say, the highlight of the garage sale was my apron I spiffied up...


It's a little two dollar apron from the hardware store. "Do it Right!" is painted on it in read, which I just covered up with some secret-project fabrics. The edges are all frayed and it's sewn on by hand, but it got the job done and was cute too. So, ha! Craftiness! Mwhahahaha!

15 comments:

PamKittyMorning said...

Cute apron! The buffet should be super cool painted white and glad the sale is over and the basement vacuumed! And the kids alive.

beki said...

Hey, $150 is great! Now I'm thinking I need to pull some crap out of my attic.

There must be some sort of product that can be used to get the smoke out of that buffet. It'd be a shame to get rid of it because of that.

Oh, cute apron!

Anonymous said...

cute little apron.

you made some decent money! especially since you said you didn't sell any furniture!

oh, did you try bleach water to get rid of the stench in the buffet?? when we bought our house, the original hardwood floors smelled like animal urine. we used bleach water and (joe brought in the pressure washer) it did the trick! it might work for smoky smells.

i think the buffet would look cute white.

Anonymous said...

I would sooo love to have a garage sale of more than 10 cars came by my house in a day. I'm way too rural to have any success. Congratulations on the $150.00. It's great when you can clear your house of clutter and make money. Great apron!! I bet folks wanted to buy that.

Anonymous said...

if more than 10 cars, not of... proof read Autum!!

Anonymous said...

Love the repurposed apron! Raw edge applique sounds perfect for it! Glad the sale was a success and good luck reducing even more this week.

Leah said...

What a relief it's done - and well done on $150!

Anonymous said...

well done you!

now, have you been shopping? buying more ouzo? celebrating?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the yard sale is over, and that you made a few bucks on it. I need to have one in the spring (because I'm too busy this fall to even pretend it will happen anytime soon).

Marshamlow said...

Your an inspiration!

Soo said...

The apron is cute! I like your idea of taking another apron and changing it!

Anonymous said...

Cute apron! Glad you made some cash on your junk.

Anonymous said...

try charcol brickets in the buffet. they are supposed to absorb odors.... safe for the kids too.... just in case you are wondering, it won't hurt them if they decide to nibble on a piece or two...

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to get rid of all that crap...um, I mean high quality goods... that builds up over time?

Your buffet looks exactly like one that my mother has. It's too bad the smoke hasn't cleared. Have you left it with all the drawers out and the doors open? If charcoal or bleach doesn't work, maybe you can rub a paste of baking soda on it, let it dry, scrape out, repeat if necessary? Labor intensive but I think the buffet is worth working on.

Anonymous said...

it was so cute, that apron!

I love all my goodies. i practically stole those footed jammies.