Monday, September 18, 2006

I Can't Think of a Witty Title When My Life is Crumbling Apart

Remember when I said yesterday we were in a person hell?

Turns out hell has some seriously worse dimensions.

We had planned on leaving Michigan around 5 pm yesterday due to Darwin's allergies. Due to all the crazy "life" things that happened -- the visiting we wanted to fit in, the fact that we were exhausted and wanted to take naps, and the fact that Darwin magically grew out of his carseat and we needed to purchase a new one -- we didn't end up getting on the road until 11 p.m.

Of course by that time, Griffin was asleep and Darwin had entered a comatose-like state due to all the benadryl and zyrtec.

About 70 miles into the drive, Darwin woke up scratching and crying like a seriously sick baby. I drove until the first exit with a gas station and we were shocked that he had broken out into a new rash and his eye was swollen shut. After sitting with him in the car for half an hour and him making it abundantly clear He Was Not Going Back Into That Fucking Car Seat, we had to go across the way and get a hotel room.

I should be home by now.

Instead I have a very sick baby, possibly allergic to the new carseat (yes, it is possible), and over 600 miles to drive home with newly awake children who have itty bitty bladder and need to stop every 45 minutes to "stretch" their legs.

Someone bitch slap me if I mention trying to go to Michigan in the next two years.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Poor Darwin, and poor you! I cannot imagine having to deal with a massive allergy attack while driving that far. I hope today fares better, you get home quickly, and Darwin feels better soon.

Leanne said...

Blame Michigan. Why do you think those who move away generally don't come back, and those who do live here, ahem, are clawing and scratching to get the heck out?! As for me, I must be the biggest idiot. I left for Chicago, and then moved back. What was I thinking? Didn't I realize I was free? Parolled? No, had to go and violate probation I guess. Darwin is telling you to stay away from this awful place! I hope he's feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Darwin. Can this kid catch a small break, already?!

Hang in there, sis. You'll be home soon.

Anonymous said...

Man, that sucks! I hope you'll be home soon and all feeling better in your own enviornment. Hey, and by the way, don't go to Michigan again.

PamKittyMorning said...

Oh no! I am so so sorry.

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine what it must be like for you... I'm sorry.

Be strong and you'll be home soon. (ish)

Anonymous said...

Poor Darwin,poor you!

Anonymous said...

Well, the trip is so horrible, it borders on ridiculous.

I can't believe you made the stupid muffins.

I can't believe poor Darwin's luck.

And since what you really need is more "work", a blog I read has "wheat free" recipes. Normally I wouldn't even pay attention but saw it and thought of your cookbook.

No promises that they are truly wheat free. I'll leave that to the experts.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/wheatfree/

Love you blog. I sat and read all the archives in two days. Keep writing!!

Rebecca.

Anonymous said...

Yes, that does sound like the trip from hell! I hope the rash clears up, or at least doesn't get worse. Have a safe trip home.

MéLisa said...

Oh my gosh! You poor woman & poor Darwin! I hope that you are able to get home soon & that he is feeling better. I feel so bad for you all!

Anonymous said...

o crap.

poor little man.

get back home safe and soon.

sigh.

LLA said...

Sweet Cracker Sandwich, woman!

I can't decide for whom I feel more sorry: You or Darwin! I'm voting for you, b/c he's little, he'll forget this hell trip. The scars that it leaves on you, however....

Just keep swimming. And some home safe. (and less itchy!)

Anonymous said...

What the heck? That poor kid and you guys. Man. I'd loose it. Get yourselves home quick! You are never travelling again.
I hope he is alright.

Anonymous said...

I really hope Darwin is alright. I have to agree that that is one hellish trip. I wish you a quicker return home into your own safe environment.

Anonymous said...

I'm exhausted for you. I know about bad trips. I hope the allergies subside soon soon soon.

Anonymous said...

what could be in the carseat that he is allergic to???

how much more can that little guy take??? (or YOU?!?!?)

glad you finally made it home.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, how ridiculously awful. Hope you're all home and healthy soon!

kirsten said...

Oh Lord I just want to click my heels and have you home...

Berber said...

What a horrible trip you're on :(((
Hope you get home very soon and safe and I hope Darwin will get beter RIGHT NOW!!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Oh gosh! You poor thing and that poor child. I am sure you thought of this, can you line the seat with a blanket?
Here's hoping you a peaceful trip home.

Anonymous said...

oh that poor baby... and poor mom... having to worry about being allergic to the carseat..aghhhhh.... I am assuming that aaron was with you. Hope you are home by now... and sleeping.... or drinking.