Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Come On Baby, Don't Fear the Reaper

This morning when I woke up, I had every intention of writing 666 on the boys' heads and blogging about how my laundry room/craft area flooded last night after 30 minutes of rain, how I've started yet another project of cleaning out the basement and how I'm running dangerously low on Ouzo, also known as Laura's Magic Elixir for Mood Stabilization and Prevention of Batshit Craziness.

But when I dropped Griffin off at gymnastics today, Darwin and I decided to go into the ethnic food market next door. Once I walked in, I realized it was a Japanese food market. I nearly pee'd my pants in excitement.

Granted, Darwin and I were the only people who could speak English in there and everyone stared at us, but it was like I jumped back in time 20 years.

My dad was born and raised in Hawaii. We always had food in the house that no one recognized, kim chee, Japanese popsicles, dehydrated shrimp and seaweed and lots of unrecognizable sweets.

Granted, due to our extreme food allergies, there was a lot of the food that I love that I could not get (especially the lo mein. And Japanese markets have THE BEST lo mein). But I did manage to get a few things the boys and I can have (I think, I hope)...


Marshmallows -- mainly for Griffin. He has an addiction.

Lycee hard candies. Yum.


Guava juice. My favorite. When my grandma still lived in Hawaii, she would send us seasonal shipments of guava juice and guava jam. The juice would always be gone in 24 hours.


Dried sweet potatoes. Because of the boys' extensive allergies, we call fruit leathers candy in our house. I hope this qualifies too.


Wheat free coconut cookies. It has tapioca flour instead.


As we were walking out, the manager gave these cookies to Darwin. I learned a long time ago, when someone gives you something you accept it gracefully. Aaron will probably have to take them into work (they have wheat).

So, I'm feeling better.

And this afternoon, I get to go to the allergist and discuss how I'm allergic to one of the allergy medicines she gave me. And I have Kathy (my step-mom) watching the boys so I can go alone. Think she'll believe me if I tell her the doctor's appointment is going to take four hours?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've been to Dr.'s appointments that took more than 4 hours. Plus if you factor in the terrible traffic there and back you should be able to stretch it to 5 1/2-6 hours, easy.

Ali said...

Its worth a try isn't it?

Perhaps she'll take pity on you post flood and offer you a free pass for the whole afternoon anyway. (Actually, sod's law says if she did this, your appointment WOULD take 4 hours.)

Anonymous said...

wow, look at all your goodies! YUM YUM YUM! glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

Your Dad's from Hawaii too? Cool!

Those lychee candies look super ono, I will have to see if them sell them here.

Joanna said...

Tried to leave a comment this morning, but blogger was being a bugger!!! That food looks yum. I grew up in Taiwan on guava juice and lychees. Nothing like childhood goodies to make you feel all nostalgic!

julie said...

Glad you cheered up a bit!! Yummy!

Mia said...

What does Lycee candy taste like??

lera said...

you really scored at the market! so many goodies that you can actually EAT!!!

sorry about your sucky in-law day ...

(I've been trying to post a comment on here for 2 days, but kept getting "page not found.")