Friday, July 06, 2007

Summer, Summer, Summertime (Ooooh, Summertime) Time to Sit Back and Unwind

Hey, remember when I planted 200 zinnia seeds on the side bed of my house? Remember?

Wanna see what it looks like now?


Hey! Where's my fucking zinnias? Oh, wait... one... two... three... THREE?! Three? That's all I got? Three motherfucking zinnias and an assload of weedy grass?

Well, let's see the back garden where I planted 150 zinnia seeds back there...


What. The. Fuck? None? Zero? Zilch.

I guess I shouldn't complain as much, since I don't have to weed it either. But holy shit, this sucks some major donkey balls.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, Mommy?"

"Yes, Griffin?"

"Daddy is the Golden Parent.... and you're the Mud Parent."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Aaron was on his big ass three week business trip, I made him go to the Lego store. Yes, made him. Everyday I was hounding him, "Did you go today? Why didn't you go today? You're not coming home without Legos and no, Legos from any old store will not do."

So, on the day before coming home he finally went to the Lego store to get us presents.

For the boys...


... an airplane (six dollars! SIX DOLLARS!) and a dragon (a buck fiftty! ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY CENTS!).

And for me...


... a magnetic notepad, Lego magnets and two pull-them-apart-tools (to help you pull stuck tiny Legos apart).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been diligently working on hand-quilting my pillow top. I now totally understand why the people at the quilt store freaked out. It is taking forever. But I am really enjoying it, even though I'm not making as much progress as I'd like.

Turns out I don't sit on my ass all that much anymore.


It took a while to figure out stitching technique, so there's a wide variety of stitch lengths and what-not.


But I finally found my groove.

I seriously doubt that I'm even half-way done with my quilting. Gah. I really thought this would be an easy-peasy project.

22 comments:

Chickenbells said...

Stupid F-ing flowers...it's hardly worth it isn't it? I tell you, I planted a bunch of seeds one year, had a ton of flowers come up...only they were only 2 kinds (a wildflower MIX mind you) then it's been a bunch of healthy grass from there on out...I CAN NOT grow hardly any grass on the lawn, but the flower bed looks magnificent!

Anonymous said...

Oooooo I loooooove that quilt top. I was planning to make a King sized one and hand quilt it since it probably won't fit in my sewing machine arm to machine quilt. Also, I don't even know how to free motion quilt yet...
I had the same sucky zinnia experience. Except that I planted mine in semi-shade and forgot to water. That MIGHT have something to do with it.

Anonymous said...

Embrace the zen of hand quilting. Is there a lego for that?

I'm takin' my 4 dozen meatballs and hitting the road. Have a good weekend!

lera said...

What a bust with those flower seeds! That's my kind of gardening.

Mud Parent??? That's funny.

And Lego store. Wow. Great bargains.

(And nice pillow top. I really can't wait to see it in its entirety.)

Amy said...

"But holy shit, this sucks some major donkey balls."

I was sitting here minding my own business and drinking my beloved Diet Coke. I come across your page and read that comment and SERIOUSLY had to choke down my drink. I was laughing so hard! I must figure out how to work that phrase into one of my conversations this weekend.

I love the colors in your quilt top. Good for you for hand quilting.......it is becoming a lost art.

Anonymous said...

Now I have that darned song stuck in my head! ITunes owes you for the purchased I'm about to make.

The quilt top is looking great!

Anonymous said...

that cushion is coming along so well! YOu must be very proud of yourself... (and that is why I machine quilt... too lazy)

Anonymous said...

The quilt looks great. I'm in awe of your ability to do that. When I try to handsew something, it's just one big stabbity stab-fest.

Anonymous said...

i can't believe how cheap that stuff was? that store isn't in chicago is it? i can't remember where aaron went... my parents head there next week, so i'm just covering my bases... :)

Anonymous said...

love your patterns! So pretty! Legos. Yeah. Legos are my new nemesis. If I step on another freakin lego I am gonna LOSE it.

amy h said...

I was wondering what became of those seeds. I am not very good at seeds, so I have no advice!

Every time I pull out my quilt to handquilt, I feel like it is a giant reminder of how crazy I am. Your pillow looks good though!

Anonymous said...

all i can say is

I NEED THOSE LITTLE PULL APART TOOLS


and you have got the quilting mojo going, baby.

beautimous.

Berber said...

The cushion will be worth all the effort... it looks wonderful already!
And I love your lego-presents!

Unknown said...

I have learnt a lot from this post
1. zinnias suck - don't plant them
2. lego is much, much cheaper in the US - search ebay
3. dad's always get to be the golden parent - yeah actually I knew that sucky one!
4. I'm not the only one to think quilting something by hand is ok to do - stupid!! stooopid!

Angelina said...

I have never machine quilted. I love hand sewing, but it does take a long time. I like to do it while watching movies I've seen 150 times already. It helps to ease the crazy in my head.

I love the fabrics you put together!

Damn zinnias. that's the kind of thing that happens to me all the time.

nuttnbunny said...

Seems like a REAL mud-parent would be able to grow better flowers. Point that one out to Mr. Sassy-pants. :-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. I would join your tirade about the zinnia's not growing from seed, but I bought a crap load of them from the nursery and they are thriving in this flood we are getting in Dallas, so I must be good to them... I will just never to attempt them from seed. Wait, I just remembered, I never attempt anything from seed anyways, I realized I sucked at that last year.. haha

Anonymous said...

Hey mud parent, I'm glad you like working in the garden but sorry bout the zinnia's. Try again - it's not too late up there I'd say. "They" say we can plant them all summer down here so it must be ok up there too.

And hand quilting? Um, godspeed.

Me and Him said...

I didn't even know those pull apart lego thingys exsisted. I need some of those for stocking stuffers. Yes, I am thinking Christmas already!

Soo said...

very cool legos, and very pretty cushion cover!

Chara Michele said...

Gah, I think I would go crazy hand quilting, I definitely do not have the patience! :)

I think if I tried gardening that would be the results...

Amanda Jean said...

I just took my kids to Lego land in Mall of America and was amazed that the prices there were better than WalMart....who knew??? I didn't know that they had those tools to pry apart legos...I could really use some of those and save my fingernails. oy.