Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I Got Some News to Tell Ya (Woahoho) About Some Wild, Wild Life

This week we have the boys enrolled in Harry Potter camp.

You got to love the Unitarian's answer to Vacation Bible School.

On Monday evening after shopping for all things wizard-y (including light up wands, YES, I SAID LIGHT UP WANDS) all the children who hadn't attended Hogwarts before had to be sorted into classes via The Sorting Hat.

(This would be a good time to mention that, duh, I'm taking pictures all week but because the photos mostly have faces of other people, I'm a little sparse in my photo-heavy-post-ability.

I guess we can say it adds to the mystery.)

Now, guess which house my children were selected to go to. Go ahead, GUESS.

Slytherin.

I can't decide if I'm really proud or really embarrassed.

And I'm assuming their house selection has absolutely nothing to do with how evil I made them sound on their information sheet. None. At. All.

After being sorted into their respective houses, the next step was for each house to come up with their house rules (such as no using wands as sword and no casting unforgivable spells and my constant asking of respect your elders) and work on decorating their robes.

Oh yeah, I said decorating their robes.

This means tie-dying t-shirts in your house colors.


Which for us, means green and black.

Last night, the children attended two class -- Fairy Class, where we learned all about fairies (did you know that gnomes are fairies?) (also, Darwin had great fun telling everyone how the Bottle Fairy came to our house and took away all his bottles this weekend. And yes, he yelled and his face turned red and he's still really upset at that damn Bottle Fairy. Which, turns out, isn't much a fairy at all and more of a Bogle; go figure) and Defense Against the Dark Arts Class, where we learned all about being safe (and watched a video that made me want to stab my eyes out, oh my Buddha).

Then, they ended the night with a fantastic game of Quidditch.

And yes, I think this whole ordeal is more exhausting for the adults than it is for the children.

25 comments:

Oil Cloth Junkie said...

I still want to go. Well, sort of.... I've had enough tye-dye to last me a life time from my days of teaching summer school.

And don't ask about what we did to the poor St. Augustine statue. We really didn't do it on purpose, who knew paint would fly that far??

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I wanna go!
And I'm married to a Slytherin. I, on the other hand, am a Huffelpuff.

Heidijayhawk said...

as exhausting as it must be, that does sound like a mighty cool camp. my 10 year old is about to burst waiting for the next book.

lera said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I bet they love it.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! Am laughing myself silly about the Evil Bottle Fairy/Bogle, though. Ingenious idea and such great timing.

Amy said...

My 9yo daughter would clean her room for a year if we had a Harry Potter Camp she could go to. How cool!!!!

Maybe you could create a 'potty fairy' for Darwin. you know, magical powers are granted when you can pee and poop in the potty.

Anonymous said...

Ah, well, we can't all be in Ravenclaw. (I'm calling forth a patronus right now so you can't curse me!)

I need to see your kids' wizard cards!

Anonymous said...

BTW, it's actually Unitarian Universalism now, which is more freewheeling than plain old Unitarianism. UUs can be pagan, atheist, Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism

Wendy said...

Awesome! Good thing my brother doesn't know about that camp or he'd be trying to disguise himself as a child to attend.

Around here, our plan is to spend all day Saturday taking turns reading out loud from the book with our extended family. Originally, I planned to do nothing at all (including sleep) until we read through the entire thing, but with reading out loud and each book getting longer than the last, it would take us like 50 hours. So, I figure we'll read on Saturday until we can't read no more and then we can all go home and finish it on our own.

amy h said...

That sounds like such fun!

Yes, I did have to look up that gnome/fairy thing once for a crossword puzzle. Also, did you know that "pixie" is listed as a synonym for "elf" in the thesaurus? Who knew.

Me and Him said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Except for the tie-dying. I don't do tie-dying.

Chara Michele said...

I want to go to Harry Potter camp now! :) Sounds like they are having fun!

Berber said...

I know you're secretly loving it ;)

Meegan Blue said...

Oh, Merlin's Beard! I want to go to Harry Potter Camp! I just (and I mean just, as in this morning) finished The Half-Blood Prince. I've been saving it so that I could read these last two back-to-back. And now I'm dying to know how this last book is going to play out! So, so good!

Jack and I are definitely hitting one of the Midnight Release Parties on Friday night. Yep.

Amy said...

Oh man! The Amy Butler fabrics were all pre-cut in 1/2 yd packs because we bought them at a Quilt Show. Shoot! That blue pattern would bu so lovely on a chair.

PamKittyMorning said...

Wow that sounds like pure genius.

Anonymous said...

i SO need to go to that!

Chickenbells said...

Oh, that sounds like fun! I went to the Harry Potter website when it was first up and I got sorted into Slytherin myself...I was a little put off. So, I just kept doing it until I got the house I wanted. Is that cheating? OH...maybe that's why I got put into Slytherin...

Angelina said...

Isn't summer with children absolutely the BEST?!

OK, but seriously, I'd take Max to that. It would be more fun than another rousing game of lego war.

Amy said...

check this out:
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1037-007014-001&Category_Code=1030a_99&Product_Count=10

If you recover that chair, I expect to see some photos!!!!

Anonymous said...

can I go please? pLease? I want to go to!!!!

and I've already reserved my copy of the latest book of course.

Renee said...

That sounds too neat! I wish they had something like that down here. I may enroll myself!

Anonymous said...

are you kidding me? harry potter camp? we so don't get nuthin down here in oz! lucky I got the new book today or I be really seething.

Erin M said...

that sounds like a blast!

LLA said...

This whole HPCamp this sounds unspeakably fab...

Next summer can I come too? (Or is it just pathetic beyond all words to be 40 and longing to go to HP camp???)