Monday, March 10, 2008

Got a Few Kids of My Own and Some Days I Still Don't Know What to Do

This weekend we had four boys (yes, four) to entertain.

Have you ever had to entertain four boys? Oh. My. Hell.

My friend, Kristi, and her husband had a weekend away (lucky bastards) and we kept their seven- and nine-year old boys. We made them do horrible and wretched things like eat vegetables and talk in complete sentences. We were mean. Really, really mean.

We also realized around 8am on Saturday there was No Way In Hell we could spend the entire weekend cooped up in the house. Nuh-huh. I might have had to start shaving some heads if that would have happened.

Being the cheap resourceful person I am, I decided we needed to take a trip downtown and take advantage of free stuff.

Hells yeah, free stuff.

So we threw (okay, maybe not threw but I was damn close to it) the boys in the van and headed to Kaleidoscope for some art makin' (note: Darwin loves the watercolor; huh, didn't know that). Then (then!) we decided to walk The Link (which is the skywalk connecting three buildings together).


All the boys loved it and it wore them out.

And it made them hungry.

And they ate all their damn vegetables at dinner.

16 comments:

Chickenbells said...

HA! Take that veggie haters!! Actually, I wouldn't mind spending a weekend at your house...alhtough, I don't know how I'd look with a shaved head...

Ali said...

You are a good friend. 4 boys. All weekend. Holy moley.

Green-Eyed Momster said...

I just love how mean (fun!) you are! And you're very brave! I bet all four boys had a blast with you! Let me know if you ever want to watch 3 girls!

Floaterie said...

whew! I was wondering if they ate you alive since there was no hearing from you! ha!

I can't believe you made them eat veggies. man. the things you do to your friends kids when they're not around....;-)

Mika said...

AHAHAHAHAHA! I entertain four boys EVERY DAY, and oh my hell is right. All of em are mine though so I can't even send em home at the end of the weekend...sigh. Arts and crafts are always a good bet!

futuregirl said...

That Western Auto sign brings back some nostalgia ...

Anonymous said...

you're a better woman than i - i'd say no!!!
before we had kids we babysat for 3 boys for a WEEK and there was a freak snowstorm and they were all home all week! if i hadn't already been pregnant, we probably never would have had kids. ;)

we did mean stuff, too - like make them clean up the deliberate spills and take their plates to the sink. boy were they mad.

Logan said...

That sounds like FUN.

I've got four younger brothers, ages three through ten (second marriage, huge age gap), and watching them is a real party. A few weeks ago I was play-fighting with the oldest one, who is my height and does karate and basketball. He was beating the crap outta me the whole time, when I finally get him pinned down, he yells "I need reinforcements!" Within seconds, the other three boys AND both of the dogs are piled on top of my head.

The end. : )

Jackie said...

LOL You kill me!!! I love your blog. It always makes me laugh.

liza said...

no stranger to the ways of bays,here. you do what you gotta do to keep your sanity (the precious bits that remain) and save your home from certain destruction. i've been known to "not really" throw my kids in the van,too.

liza said...

i meant the ways of "boys", not the ways of "bays"... sorry. my ocd won't let me leave that typo just hanging there.

Anonymous said...

Talk in complete sentences? Oh, the humanity!

You could have shaved their heads. I would have been fine with that. Though I'm not sure they would have considered that a punishment. William would probably have just taken a marker to his scalp and gone Darth Maul.

Thanks again.

sltbee69 said...

Holy moly is right! I'm glad your resourcefulness paid off. I bet even though you were "mean" to them, they still had a blast and will be bugging their parents to come back to your house again.

gwendomama said...

dude. you are so mean.

other day i was in trader joe's and had a 9 yo girl in addition to my two wild ones. they were being so good and a stranger asked if they were always this good.
i said DAMN STRAIGHT THEY ARE! ALL THREE OF 'EM!

Angelina said...

Hmm, should have read the posts in order. I'm less convinced now that you're going to pop out another one in the next year. I know you say you're not but I was thinking "She doth protest too much" and all that Shakespearian crap. But maybe I'm starting to believe it.

ONce again, I am a babbling idiot.

World Wide Alternative said...

I love you. Xxx