Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I Told You I Was Trouble, and You Know That I'm No Good

Today was the first day to feed the Aquasaurs. So I got out their package of food an immediately freaked out.

Do you see why?


WHEAT.

Wheat is the second ingredient in the food.

Do triops eat wheat in their natural habitat? I DON'T THINK SO. Did they eat 350 million years ago? AGAIN, I DON'T THINK SO.

Of course, this sent me in a tailspin of a panic attack, including breathing into a paper bag because what! if! I! touch! the! wheat! I! can! not! touch! the! wheat! argh!

After smashing the two pellets into a powder (with a metal spoon and a glass bowl because I! will! not! touch! the! wheat!), I sprinkled the food in the aquarium and waited....


... and finally saw a triop feeding. (Look in the center of the red box -- I drew a red box!)

I think they have gone all cannibal on each others' asses already. Last night I counted eight of them alive, this morning I can only see one. ::shudder:: Gross.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least dead ones don't molt. ;)

Oil Cloth Junkie said...

Lori, that's so gross!

Capello, I am at a complete loss for words because I am laughing too hard.

Maybe that should be the next wheat free reciepe that you work on? You could figure it out. :)

MéLisa said...

Ok that’s it those things are gross! The picture kind of skeeved me out yesterday but now that they are eating each other, ack! Gag! That is gross! How big is that sucker gonna get? I have visions of the swap thing crawling out of there & molting on the floor! ((shutter))

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it is just me, but I can't see what I am actually looking at here. Perhaps it is just the tears in my eyes from laughing so much.

I have read the description of what they look like but I can't see anything! Apat from the background!

diana said...

ewwwwwwww..... icky

Erin M said...

why the *bleep* would they eat wheat?? Especially if they have a propensity towards cannibalism? I would think the wheat food would encourage them to eat eachother

Chickenbells said...

Ewwww...knowing your household...this one will be allergic to wheat too, and he'll be going to the allergist with you all...

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Whilst I know my boys would think all this real cool, I have to say it does gross me out a bit, well quite a lot actually. Have you seen the film evolution, see I would be daft enough to worry about that happening!!!
Suzie Sews
Wheat seems to be in everything, how do you cope?

Anonymous said...

was the surviving one 7 times bigger than the other ones? ha ha.

I can't wait to see how the turn up. Fascinatingly weird.

lera said...

hmmm... yuck ? ? ?

can aaron take over and start feeding them when he gets home so you can avoid the wheat? or do you think the last surviving one will be gone, too? (at least he can't eat himself?)