Thursday, May 15, 2008

I St-St-Stuttered When You Asked Me What I'm Thinkin' 'Bout

Spring is great. Really, really great. Just super. Great. Honestly. Great.

But why is it that I'm the only person getting exhausted from it? I mean, seriously. Come on. I swear, my children are solar-powered.

out with the old...

in with the new!

So I have these two urns on the front patio (plastic urns purchased a few years ago at Target on end-of-the-season clearance for six bucks each) that I try to keep planted. As soon as pansies are available I snap them up and throw them in. Then as soon as any threat of frost is gone I re-plant them, even if the pansies look good (much to Aaron's howling, but it's not like it matters since I replant them in the backyard).

This year I managed to find my favorite Picasso Ivy Geranium (the one in the front with the dark flowers). I also found these Martha Washington Geraniums, first time I've ever seen them. Aren't they spiffy? Their leaves are ruffle-y and the flowers look tropical. Darwin picked out the Blackie Sweet Potato Vine ("it's purple Mommy!") and because it was looking too dark I also planted Lemon Licorice.

Yeah. I fully suspect Aaron to eat the licorice. ::sigh:: He's taken it upon himself to eat anything that grows in the yard now, including dandelion greens.

Then, Griffin brings this home from school today...


... apparently his Lima bean was the only one to sprout. Well, not only did it sprout, it went crazy. So now Aaron's gonna have Lima beans to eat this year.

You're welcome, honey.

I think I'm gonna put it on the trellis next to one of my clematis. Sounds good, right? Please say yes, oh please say yes.

thanks Jennifer! it's perfectly lovely!

13 comments:

beki said...

miley cyrus?
Your plantings look beautiful. Spring makes me tired to. So much to do!

Anonymous said...

your garden looks so pretty.....it's so nice to see a bit of spring!!!

Floaterie said...

yes, yes--spring is tiring!

btw--those martha W. geraniums will winter over nicely in your house (in a previous life, I was a landscaper/gardener for hire)...and you could even bring in the "purple" vine too--like a house plant (also good to do if you are planning on using any coleus.)

=)

MichelleB said...

Looks great! My container plants usually die because I'm watering challenged. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh... I do like your Martha geraniums. VERY ruffely and pretty. I like the purple plant as well. Adds nice color.

Amazing Lima bean plant my man! They freeze well too, just in case you want to eat them all winter long. Ha!

misschris said...

*raising hand* I'm tired too! Maybe it is all the new to-dos that get added to the list when the weather changes?? The sun saps me but I'll take it over the icy weather we had just weeks ago any day.

Lima beans! Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

No spring, birthday season, mother's day, house cleaning, end of school goings on - seriously kicking my ass. And just when I thought I could relax a bit this weekend, we have two graduations parties, a girl scout cook-out/court of awards, and the car art parade. Geez. But your garden looks lovely.

montague said...

wow! that's a big plant alright! and cute pillow!

Chickenbells said...

Wonderful urns...I usually get all gung ho and plant in the pots around the yard and then run out of steam to water everything all the time...ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Those flowers are gorgeous. I've yet to go flower shopping. Doug is too lazy to go with me, but he thinks he should have say in the matter.

Anonymous said...

Great. Now I've got that damn song stuck in my head. AGAIN. Thanks soooo much.

Renee said...

Your flowers are very pretty! I get so excited when I know the song, BTW. I'm in with the new tunes, thanks to my 12 and 10-year olds.

Anonymous said...

yes, totally, go for the lima beans on the trellis! 'urban farming' is the way to go! if you're not actually trying to sustain yourselves it can look pretty, too! my mum hides some herbs and veggies amongst her flowers in the borders, and has some tomato plants on the patio. and my friend planted purple runner beans along one wall of her house, they had beautiful red flowers first, and later the purple beans for decorations, very cute. (the purple beans turn dark green when boiled, by the way)