Friday, July 18, 2008

I Heard Her Holler, I Heard Her Moan

San Francisco is awesome. Steph (who let me sleep on her couch and is my roommate in the hotel) is awesome. All the bloggers I've met here are awesome. The parties are awesome. Traveling here, although not awesome also wasn't that bad (I am alive).

However, the food situation? The food situations BLOWS IT OUT THE ASS.

I'm no dumbie: I knew that food here was going to be difficult. But when you have nothing for dinner an inedible frozen entree for dinner and pineapple and strawberries for breakfast, things start getting desperate.

So... lunch time rolls around and the gluten-free box lunch reeks of rotten wheat (cookies! soy sauce! is the lead chef just stupid or doesn't know how to cook properly?) the only thing I could possibly do was curl into the fetal position on my bed and cry giant baby tears because woe is me, I'm hungry and woe is the people I'm gonna meet, cuz if I don't eat they're gonna be meeting one raving psycho-bitch.

And then I called room service. Intelligent people work in room service (not understanding fries sharing with oil chicken fingers is not gluten-free aside) and were able to make me a hamburger and (huge!) side Caesar salad.


And is it lame? The condiments for my hamburger are totally making me smile. They are definitely the highlight of the day (so far, anyway).

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got some food, and that you are enjoying everything else!

And I didn't get to say so yesterday, but your laptop bag is awesome! I love everything about it. Nice!

Chickenbells said...

Oh...you didn't use them did you? They would be such cute decorations when you get home...or is that lame?

I am so sorry about the food situation...ugh. I'm all about the salad (with my own dressing) and everything else just darned plain...and um, yeah...soy sauce DOES have wheat in it...I hope you're able to find more to eat out there, or you're gonna be a skinny mama when you make it home...

Stephanie ODea said...

no no no! YOU are awesome!
xox
steph

Anonymous said...

are those bottles tiny? they look tiny, i love tiny things that are usually big. like tiny jars of jam. i like to pretend i'm a giant.

LauraJ said...

you have to keep those jars! too freaking cute!!

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome condiments. I love tiny little containers. But seriously, people need to get with the program and figure out how to feed you without poisoning you! It's not that difficult.

But I'm still jealous of your trip anyway.

Green Kitchen said...

You are so close to where I live, yet so far.

Dana said...

I'm so sorry to hear that the food situation sucks. I'm hoping that things improve so that your trip is awesome all the way around!

Marshamlow said...

Traveling around with Lily things that worked well for us was: grocery store and fruit: banana, peaches, grapes, strawberries, etc. Asian restaurants and plain white rice. places that have a dish for heart healthy or diabetes usually have some plain steamed veggie, broccoli is filling. Sometimes if you go to the kitchen and talk to the people making the food you can get better results than using a go between. Oh and plain baked potatoe with real butter on the side. Lily loves day old plain baked potatoe, is that weird? Go to the grocery store and get some fruit, take a bus or a cab or walk you will totally thank me cause calif fruit is the best in the world.

The Nice Lady said...

hooray for cute condiments!

Susan said...

Hi Laura,

We met at the BlogHer "icebreaker" session (I think). Just stopping by to check out your blog(s) and say hi! I know it's been hard to find healthy food here, but I can't imagine the additional gluten-free needs. Glad room service pulled through for you. See you later tonight, I hope!

http://www.WorkingMomsAgainstGuilt.com
http://www.MrandMrsGetFit.com

Sarah and Jack said...

I love those little room service bottles of ketchup. I always hoard a few when we stay in a hotel. LOL

Apple said...

Those little bottles are so cute.

sltbee69 said...

Now a days when it's being discovered that people have so many wheat allergies, you'd think more restaurants would provide alternatives. But then again, I've read where even vegetarians have difficulties too. I'm glad you finally found something decent to eat. Like someone else mentioned, if nothing else, you'll come home a few pounds lighter.

Anonymous said...

I love tiny condiment bottles, too!